new object preview: IFrame Object

Moderator: Rob Penn

new object preview: IFrame Object

Postby kentxu » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:20 pm

The SmartBuilder development team is discussing the possibility of adding IFrame support in SmartBuilder.

IFrame (from "Inline Frame") is an HTML element which makes it possible to embed an HTML document inside another HTML document.

In SmartBuilder, IFrame can provide an alternative way to launch content that currently can only be launched in a new window. We also believe IFrame has greater potential in SmartBuilder once we make the authoring experience simple and seamless in the existing authoring framework.

Click here for an example of how IFrame could add value to SmartBuilder. We also included a summary of some of the design ideas we have collected so far. This example should work with both IE and FireFox on Windows. It doesn't currently work on Linux (tested on Ubuntu 8.04 FireFox).

You are welcome to comment on this topic and contribute ideas to help with the development.
Development Team
kentxu

Re: new object preview: IFrame Object

Postby aprilsheninger » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:14 am

I think this could be very helpful for someone who pulls in and uses a lot of existing content. I am in an academic institution and don't always have the funding to do video project for example, but there is a lot of good (and bad) videos on YouTube that could be brought in. They could be used to demonstrate a point or to show a non example of something without disrupting the flow or needing to get the original file from someone. I am thinking about accessibility issues. I don't think that IFrames are very accessible, but there might be things that could be done to help resolve that problem. This feature is definitely something that I would use.

Just my 2 cents.
April
aprilsheninger

Postby jzoeller » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:39 am

I love the concept and already ideas about how to use it. However, in the example given, I am able to view the video inline, but the PDF file opens in a Adobe PDF window, outside of Smartbuilder. Any ideas?
Jim Zoeller
UPS Airlines
jzoeller@ups.com
jzoeller

Postby kentxu » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:48 am

jzoeller wrote:I love the concept and already ideas about how to use it. However, in the example given, I am able to view the video inline, but the PDF file opens in a Adobe PDF window, outside of Smartbuilder. Any ideas?

The behavior is usually controlled by the browser or Acrobat Reader settings. Here is a tech doc from Adobe http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewCon ... lId=325875

Please provide OS, Browser and Acrobat Reader version information. Are you able to open pdf inside the browser from other website?
Development Team
kentxu

Return to News / Annoucements