Share on Web - Language Selection?

Use the translation manager to re-purpose content for different languages or audiences

Moderator: Nav

Share on Web - Language Selection?

Postby YamahaCanada » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:14 am

Good day,

I am looking for assistance in finding out how I can send the URL hyperlink in another language other than the default (Which would be English in my case). I have embedded French in the translation, however, I only want to preview the French version.

How do I go about doing that?

Thanks,
YamahaCanada
Training Material Development Coordinator
Yamaha Motor Canada Ltd.
YamahaCanada

Re: Share on Web - Language Selection?

Postby Nav » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:10 am

Hi YamahaCanada,
Unfortunately that isn't possible with the Share feature. The way that the Translate works, it needs to be downloaded from SmartBuilder. Then it can be uploaded to a server (or emailed to someone). The Share feature is primarily designed for Community (free) users, and is open to the web, so it's not secure or private.

Hope that helps!

- Nav
Nav

Postby YamahaCanada » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:12 pm

Hi Nav,

Thanks for the response! That's unfortunate, since the share feature with the source file works wonderfully.
Downloading the source file in any language can be quite large therefore to email would not work for us.

Is there any chance a multi-language toggle feature be implemented for web/link share?

Sharing my Smartbuilder modules with my SME's via web link in English (and French in my case) would be super beneficial! And I think I speak out on behalf of most companies using the multi-language feature.
It's fast, gets to the point, and can be shared by SME's to other SME's to help them storyboard for other projects of their own in multi languages.
I am almost forced to make one module in English and a separate one in French - however when I am sharing one master file with another designer in another country - they require only one file.

Also, I tried to download a 'Web version' and the SWF links do not seem to function.
I tried an 'offline version' but it doesn't give me multi-language options.

Please advise?
Yamaha Motor Canada Ltd.
YamahaCanada

Postby YamahaCanada » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:46 pm

Or...
:idea:
Create a SWF widget that toggles languages... ?

A toggle button can be hidden or deleted before publishing :mrgreen: .
Yamaha Motor Canada Ltd.
YamahaCanada

Postby Nav » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:29 pm

Hi,
1. Unfortunately, I don't think that it will be possible in v3 to make the Share link work with Translation. The two features are very different, and are generated through 2 completely different processes. The same goes for the swf translate widget. We will definitely keep this desired functionality in mind as we are developing version 4 translation.

2. Getting the lesson to work offline is usually a couple of steps. The Web version (as you can imagine) is designed to be deployed from the Web. If it's being run directly from a computer (locally), Flash security settings disable the ability of Flash content to link to things locally. Otherwise, any Flash content could run locally and do all sorts of mean things (pretend to be your desktop, keylogging, delete files, steal files). You can actually change your Flash security settings on the computer to allow the hyperlinks to work. You can ready about how to do that here - viewtopic.php?f=15&t=221#p825 (but of course, lowering your security can be dangerous. Even though our lessons are not malicious, by lowering the security settings, you would allow other malicious content to have access to local content). I turn that setting off when I need to test something, but I turn it on when I'm finished.

I think what you really need is some server space where you can upload things for people to review them. Then after you download the compiled version, you can put it there and hand the link out to people to review. I know the Share link is much easier for simple content, but due to its architecture, there's no realistic timeline of combining those features. How are you delivering your content to your end learners? Via LMS? Or just uploading to a webserver? If it's an LMS, is there a staging area, or a testing course you can create? If it's just a webserver, can you carve out a little testing space and upload your lessons there?

Hope that helps! Sorry I don't have a better solution, but as I said we'll definitely keep this use case as we develop version 4.
Nav

Postby YamahaCanada » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:57 am

Thanks again Nav,

We use an LMS to deliver to our end users, the staging area I do not think gives me an option to preview, or obtain a hyperlink. I will check.

And thanks for keeping that thought in mind for version 4!
Yamaha Motor Canada Ltd.
YamahaCanada

Postby jmalatino » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:08 am

One way to share your translated content would be to use SCORM Cloud http://scorm.com/scorm-solved/scorm-cloud-features/ its a Free LMS we frequently use for testing. There is a limit on the total size of all the lessons you upload but you can share your content from there with others by inviting them to view your SCOMR Cloud lessons. This a great way to allow others to review translated lessons. Be sure to download your lessons from SmartBuilder with SCORM Compatible settings.
jmalatino

Return to Translation