Assigning translators

Use the translation manager to re-purpose content for different languages or audiences

Moderator: Nav

Assigning translators

Postby rwicker215@aol.com » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:41 pm

Hello,

Is it possible for assigned translators to translate a lesson/course without being assigned as an owner of the lesson/course? I set a test course up to be translated to Spanish, and assigned a translator. When the translator logs in, she doesn't appear to have access to the course.

We'd like to lock our English-version of the course, while allowing the assigned translators to translate the lesson/course into Spanish at their convenience. Is that possible?

Kind regards,
Rebecca
rwicker215@aol.com

Re: Assigning translators

Postby Nav » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:56 am

"Hi Rebecca,

Yes; if you assign someone as a translator of the course, and they are
not a reviewer, then they will get an assigned translation task 'My
assigned tasks > Translation' without the lesson showing in their WIP or
published content areas. It will only allow them to pop-up the
translation panel to translate from there.

Let me know that you're able to successfully test that...

Cheers,

Leif"

Also - there has to be a Work in Progress version of the lesson in order for the Translator to see it.

- Nav
Nav

Postby rwicker215@aol.com » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:33 pm

Hi Leif and Nav,

Thank you for this information. The key for me was learning that a Work in Progress version of the course/lesson needs to exist.

I usually try to maintain a published version of the lesson/course in order to eliminate the possibility of inadvertent changes occurring to the content. Now, I'm thinking I may need to change my habits or create a separate version of the course for translation purposes. What are your thoughts/recommendations?

Thank you,
Rebecca
rwicker215@aol.com

Postby rwicker215@aol.com » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:02 am

Hello,

A colleague of mine made a suggestion. Is it possible to allow subfolders to exist in the Work in Progress folder? If so, we could have a Translation subfolder that would let us know the lesson/course is being translated. What are your thoughts?

Kind regards,
Rebecca
rwicker215@aol.com

Postby Nav » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:54 am

Hi Rebecca,
Unfortunately it is not possible to allow subfolders in the Work In Progress folder. This has come up before regarding the Media & Assets folder, and it was found to be impossible then.

While creating copies would work, I wouldn't recommend it for translating, because with separate copies, you lose the affordances of publish versions. Also, you might update your version before your translator gets around to translating theirs, and now you have 2 versions that you want to merge together. You can maintain them yourself, which is fine, but it's just a little bit more hassle on your part.

What is the concern with simply keeping a Work In Progress version of a lesson when you are expecting translation? If it's awaiting translation, it seems like it is still not ready for deployment, and expected to move in and out of the WIP folder. If it is a concern about confusing lessons that you are working on versus lessons that you are done working on and simply awaiting translation, you could simply rename the lessons. Perhaps adding a suffix of "Lesson name 101 AWAITING TRANSLATION" will help make the distinction. Then, after the translation, you can edit the Meta Data and get rid of the suffix. What do you think?

- Nav
Nav

Postby rwicker215@aol.com » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:43 am

Hi Nav,

Oddly, your suggestion of changing the metadata came to mind on my way to work this morning. I'll do that, and all lesson/course owners will be aware of the status. That's a perfect solution.

Thank you,
Rebecca
rwicker215@aol.com

Return to Translation