Inserting translated Captivate demos into translated lessons

Use the translation manager to re-purpose content for different languages or audiences

Moderator: Nav

Postby Randall Smith » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:52 am

I have several lessons where I use Captivate demos. In the translation table these swf demos don't show in the Source column. How do I insert a translated swf demo into the Target column of the translation so that it shows in the translated version of the lesson?
Randall Smith

How to manage captivate files in translated lessons

Postby Rob Penn » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:05 pm

Randy,

There are two types of objects that can be swapped out using the translation functionality: Text and Graphic objects. Streaming SWF objects currently cannot be swapped out (though we will look into adding these in the future).

I assume that the Captivate demos are being used are inserted as "Streaming SWF" objects? IF so, you have 2 options:

1. Insert the captivates swfs into your lesson using the standard Graphic object. The downside of this there may be a delay before any content appears while the captivate loads - This will vary based on the size of the captivate movies so you may want to test out some files.

2. Keep the captivate movies as Streaming SWF objects, and then swap out the SWF after you download the translated "target" version from SmartBuilder. With this approach you'll need to remember to swap out the files each time you download a new version of the content.

I hope that helps.
Rob Penn

Postby Randall Smith » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:47 am

I'll have to use the post-publish swap out method since my demos definitely need to be streamed.

It would be helpful if this process could be done using the translation functionality so an extra step wouldn't need to be taken every time a lesson is published.

Thanks.
Randall Smith

Streaming SWF (captivate) supported in translation window

Postby Rob Penn » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:53 am

Hi Randy,

Just a heads up, the latest release 3.6.4 includes support for streaming swf/capitvate files in the translation window.

Hope that helps,

Rob
Rob Penn

Return to Translation