Can SmartBuilder handle right to left text languages?

Use the translation manager to re-purpose content for different languages or audiences

Moderator: Nav

Can SmartBuilder handle right to left text languages?

Postby candys » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:13 am

Are there any issues with languages where the text goes right to left, vs left to right? Can SmartBuilder handle those languages okay?
candys

Re: Can SmartBuilder handle right to left text languages?

Postby jmalatino » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:09 pm

Unfortunately due to limitations inherent in ActionScript2, which SmartBuilder is written in, and Flash limitations SmartBuilder cannot correctly process right to left languages such as Arabic.

We have invested some serious effort in attempting to solve these issues, even going so far as the hiring of an Arabic translator to help us diagnose what was going wrong with the text. But we still came up empty handed. So to sum it up, currently SmartBuilder cannot support Right to Left languages.

It is possible to have right to left text in HTML pages and then load those pages into a SmartBuilder i-frame and have that show the text properly. But this again runs into its own set of problems. For example these HTML pages cannot have a transparent background and the text contained within cannot be used in actions. Also i-frames always appear on top of all other content so if you were to pop open a resource from the master page the iframe would cover this up. Unless actions were put into place to hide this i-frame. So right to left text can be used but, not with all of the control usually given to text native to the authoring environment.
jmalatino

Return to Translation