Excel cells formatted as numbers...

Use the translation manager to re-purpose content for different languages or audiences

Moderator: Nav

Postby Randall Smith » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:58 am

I noticed in text exports of text to the Excel worksheet that a few of the cells don't show text, they show #################. If I double-click those cells then I do see the text.

The cells appear this way because they are formated as numbers. If I right-click on the cell and choose Format; in the Format dialog I set the cell format as Number then the text shows up fine.
Randall Smith

Postby Nav » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:52 pm

Excel doesn't like text in the cells longer than 256 characters, so it displays the ##### you see. When you click on a cell, it will display the actual text in the formula bar at the top, or when you double click on the cell it will show it there.

Changing the format to a number isn't a recognized fix by Microsoft for this problem, so it can be used as a temporary workaround, but I wouldn't recommend it as a long term solution (Microsoft may update the way they display numbers).
Nav

Postby RRattlidge » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:42 am

The format 'General' works just as well as 'Numbers' and is probably less likely to change. The default format is 'Text' and has the issue of the '#########' showing.
RRattlidge

Postby kentxu » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:47 pm

Thanks for posting this feedback. We will try to apply this change in the upcoming release.
Development Team
kentxu

Return to Translation