Choosing language

Use the translation manager to re-purpose content for different languages or audiences

Moderator: Nav

Choosing language

Postby Greycious » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:18 am

Hi,

If I add a language to my lesson, how will the language be selected once the learner opens the course? Will this be a page where the learner select the language? And what does this look like? Is this an extra page within my lesson, or? It would be nice to have an example of this. Can I find it somewhere?

Cheers, Sarah
Greycious

Re: Choosing language

Postby Nav » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:44 am

Hi Sarah,
There's a video tutorial on tips for the Translation process that I highly recommend viewing before creating your translations - http://help.smartbuilder.com/node/561

Here is some background information on Translation - http://help.smartbuilder.com/node/52

Basically, when you create your translation, by default, when you go to download it, you'll have the choice of downloading the Source version, or one of the various translations - http://screencast.com/t/1ClXdnfgtkVw

Or, you can turn this setting on http://screencast.com/t/8d8jwW5j9Ik , and you get a splash page that looks like this (which you can alter post-production to put a nice graphic in the background) - http://screencast.com/t/xHXe3UiF4klJ (the translated text is at the bottom in this example).

Let me know if you have any follow up questions!

- Nav
Nav

Postby Greycious » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:58 am

Hi Nav,

Thank you, this is very clear. Where do I post-edit the splash page when I consolidate the different languages? Because I guess that's what we'll do.

And furthermore: I read in the log files of one of my former colleagues a clear warning. She said that you have to have finalised the source file once you start translating. Because you cannot change something in the source files once you imported a translation. This sounds very strange to me, so I just want to check whether this is true.

Thanks, Sarah
Greycious

Postby Nav » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:08 pm

Hi Sarah,
To edit the splash page, you'll want to alter the scorm.html or player.html (depending on if it's scorm output or not). You can open the html file in Dreamweaver or your favorite editor, and use the developer tools in most recent browsers to help you get it in place. I haven't personally done it before, but if you need help, we can meet when you have the image, and we can look at it together.

As for the translation, you can make edits after exporting and importing text. However, it probably makes sense to finish the lesson first. You definitely don't want to make edits after exporting the text, but before importing it. If you export and there are 150 text objects, and then when you import and there are 154 text objects, things start to go a little weird. Best to export the text, get it translated, and then import it without making any changes in the meantime.

After you import the text back in, you can add or remove objects, or change interactivity. Just keep in mind that the translated text is tied to the existing objects. So if you copy the text out of one object and delete it, and then paste that text into a brand new object, it won't have the translation associated with it. Similarly, if you add a new text object, you'll have to translate that as well.

So... it's possible to edit the lesson after translation (especially altering actions or moving things around), but it's probably better practice to get the source version as close to being done as you can before you start translating (if it can be helped).

- Nav
Nav

Postby Greycious » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:03 am

Hi Nav,

Thanks for the clear answers. Changing text within existing text boxes after importing translations probably won't give any troubles? As long as you change it in both the source as the translated text?

Cheers, Sarah
Greycious

Postby Nav » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:46 am

Hi Sarah,
Yes, that should be fine. You can even add new text objects at that time, as long as you remember to translate them as well.

The only dangerous part is while the text is exported and hasn't yet been imported back in.

- Nav
Nav

Postby Greycious » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:09 am

Hi Nav,

Currently, my text file (excel) is at the translator. Can I in the meanwhile add a textbox to my module? Or will this totally block the import? In that case I will pause my work completely until I can import the excel ;).

Cheers, Sarah
Greycious

Postby Nav » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:06 am

Hi Sarah,
I would wait. I believe it will be blocked when you try to upload it.

If it's going to take forever to get your translation back, you can keep working ahead, but then you'll need to do some extra stuff to bring the translation back in. Basically, you'll get your translation back (let's call it "Translated_XLS"). You'll have to export a fresh excel (Fresh_XLS), and then copy the entire column from Translated_XLS into Fresh_XLS and then copy and paste sections of the column to make them line up again. It's a hassle, so if you can wait, I'd recommend that. Cosmetic and interactivity changes should be okay.

- Nav
Nav

Postby Greycious » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:05 am

Hi Nav,

Thanks. I'l wait then ;). How sure are you that interactivity changes are OK? Cause that would be nice to fill my time in the coming days.

Cheers, Sarah
Greycious

Postby Nav » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:41 am

Hi Sarah,
You're fine making interactivity changes so long as you're not creating or deleting objects (specifically text objects).

- Nav
Nav

Postby Greycious » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:21 am

Hi Nav,

I managed to import the translation, which all works just fine. But now my source language is called Default. Which means that in the splash screen of the module, you have to choose between Default and English. I want to change Default into Dutch. How would I do that?

Cheers, Sarah
Greycious

Postby Nav » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:42 am

Hi Sarah,
You can change that, but it needs to be done after you download the lesson. It also means that you'll have to do that every time you want to update your lesson. Here's how to make that change to player.html http://screencast.com/t/cAM8bl2srD If you're downloading a SCORM package, it will be in the scorm.html file

And if you need to zip it back up, don't forget to zip the contents of the folder, not the folder itself (which can confuse LMSs). Here's what I mean - http://screencast.com/t/xKrQo5mR469d

Let me know if that doesn't work! If you're using the HTML5 output, the files might be a little different, but the method should work the same.

- Nav
Nav

Postby Greycious » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:40 am

Thanks Nav,

That will work. One ome issue came up. We connected source files (SWF) with a hyperlink to a transparent square (see e.g. page 5 in my module). Now I wanted to connect an English SWF to the square in the translate panel. But there I see you cannot alter hyperlinks for objects. I though to make a transparent text field instead with the hyperlink attached to it, but that would only make the text clickable. Since the background is a photograph, I cannot make the text transparent. Any help for this one?

Cheers, Sarah
Greycious

Postby Nav » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:33 am

Hi Sarah,
Great question! Here's how to do that - http://screencast.com/t/IWzd4T4r You'll need to use the Hotspot object, Text object, and an action to make it work.

- Nav
Nav

Postby Greycious » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:28 am

Hi Nav,

Thanks for the quick reply. In my situation, the hyperlink attached to the transparent object linked to a SWF. I will have a Dutch and an English version of that SWF, which both should be correctly linked to the source and translated module.

Cheers, Sarah
Greycious

Next

Return to Translation