Reviewer keeps having strange problems

Use the WorkFlow feature to manage the content review and revision cycles

Moderator: Leif

Reviewer keeps having strange problems

Postby tahiya » Thu May 16, 2013 9:20 am

The SME I work with finally got on as an SB user and is now able to see the courses in the review window and put in comments. Great. The only problem is that the same issues he has had for the last two years persist even when he is working directly in SB. Any idea what is going on here? He keeps having these issues with media in the courses whether the SB-resident published link, the review version, the published and uploaded version, or when it's been deployed in the LMS. I don't understand why he keeps seeing all this missing media. He has DSL connection and can watch streaming videos and FLV files...
Attachments
SB problem screenshot.png
as the reviewer sees it...
SB problem screenshot.png (157.67 KiB) Viewed 17251 times
SBShouldBE.png
Same file as it should look
SBShouldBE.png (189.6 KiB) Viewed 17251 times
play, play, play
tahiya

Re: Reviewer keeps having strange problems

Postby Nav » Thu May 16, 2013 2:34 pm

Hi Tahiya,
It is a known issue that while in the Review Tool, since it pops open in a new window, you can be logged out of SmartBuilder after an hour. So if they're taking a while in the Review Tool, and haven't touched the main SmartBuilder window in a while, they could start seeing the lesson without media (as the lesson itself is loaded, but the media doesn't load until you get to that page).

However, that would not explain why they can't see the media when they're viewing the Shared link, from the LMS, or if the problem happens even immediately when they start Reviewing. Does this happen every time? Or only sometimes? Does it take a while before it starts to happen, or is it immediately reproducible?

Provided it's reproducible all the time, or at least often, I think the next step is to try to narrow down the environment this happens in. Find a single example of the images not loading. Then have the reviewer try another browser. Have them try another computer. We can also do a gotomeeting with them and look at some browser tools to see if the calls are made to load the media, and if they fail. This last step will require certain browsers (FF, Chrome, IE9 or above).

Let us know what you find from different browsers/computers and let me know if you want to schedule a call with that person. It should be a rather quick and painless call.

- Nav
Nav

Postby tahiya » Tue May 21, 2013 1:52 pm

So on speaking with him further, here is the information related to your reply:
It's intermittent but it recurs often enough that he pretty much expects it when I send him links to SB lessons.
It doesn't seem to be related to a particular type of media or even one slide vs another. When he closes and re-opens, sometimes the same slide will have the same problems, sometimes not and the problem will crop up in a different location in the lesson.
Today we experimented with an upgrade from Firefox 20 to 21. It seemed to enable him to open and see the materials and work with them.
He was open to a phone chat, but I think we will have to do more to get replication of the effects. He also has a second computer at home that is not for company work and he suggested he might try it on that. He uses VPN to access work files while off site, but I have suggested that he use his home internet connection directly without firing up the VPN access. I have not heard from him about whether he ever tried it that way. He did have the same problems when accessing the intranet here on site with the same laptop he's using when he's at home. That made me suspect it has something to do with his configuration but I have not been successful at isolating a use case because he moves from place to place and does these reviews as he can between delivering trainings in different locations.
play, play, play
tahiya

Postby tahiya » Tue May 21, 2013 2:02 pm

Just heard from the SME again. He's found a way to produce it. If he moves backward in the slide set with the arrows or the table of contents and then tries to go forward again, it omits graphics and offers up blanks. And it looks like he switched to IE since this morning and said it happened there too. He said he's got a lot of open time today so it would be a good day for a phone chat.
play, play, play
tahiya

Postby Nav » Wed May 22, 2013 10:54 am

Alright, I'll email you and I can get his contact info from you that way.

- Nav
Nav

Return to WorkFlow