Media Went "Missing" During File Reorganization

For general questions about content management

Moderator: Leif

Media Went "Missing" During File Reorganization

Postby Jolliff » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:05 pm

During a lull in work, I decided to reorganize my Shared Library to something that I assumed would be more logical for everyone to use. Unfortunately, upon going back into the library recently, we discovered that a great many files were no longer in the shared library!

Most of these files had been moved back down to users individual "Media & Assets" directories. While this is good news that we don't have to upload all of these assets over again, it's also very disconcerting to have to "restock" the Shared Library.

Here's exactly what I did during the reorg:
  • Create new destination folders.
  • Drag items from old source folder into new destination folders.
  • Delete old source folder once it was emptied.

Now, I was pretty careful to avoid leaving anything behind, and I assumed that since it was a SHARED library, that I was seeing ALL content that had been added, regardless of the owner.

Can you please identify where I went wrong, and offer suggestions on how to reorganize in the future to prevent this from happening again?
Last edited by Jolliff on Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Qualcomm Enterprise Services - Information Design & Training
"There is an evil tendency underlying all our technology—the tendency to do what is reasonable, even when it isn't any good."
~Robert Pirsig
Jolliff

Re: Media Went "Missing" During File Reorganization

Postby kentxu » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:53 pm

Could you provide some more information to support AT suddenlysmart DOT com? Please include the source folder name and the target folder name, along with some of the files you think that are missing from the shared library.
Development Team
kentxu

Postby Jolliff » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:32 pm

I can only cite some examples. There were dozens of files affected by this.
"There is an evil tendency underlying all our technology—the tendency to do what is reasonable, even when it isn't any good."
~Robert Pirsig
Jolliff

Postby kentxu » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:55 pm

I believe this issue is already resolved in 3.7.1 update released on 2008.08.24.
kentxu

Postby Jolliff » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:47 am

Is there any known bug that would cause files to appear to be gone from a directory on a first (and possibly second) glance, only for them to appear when the Shared Library is viewed again later in the same session?
~Robert Pirsig
Jolliff

Postby Nav » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:04 pm

Perhaps you were running a search and left the search window open? When you close or clear your search criteria, and click on the directory again it refreshes it. Hope that helps.

- Nav
Nav

Postby Jolliff » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:30 pm

Nav wrote:Perhaps you were running a search and left the search window open? When you close or clear your search criteria, and click on the directory again it refreshes it. Hope that helps.

- Nav

I wish.

No, I wasn't running a search, not even accidentally. I just double-clicked an flv in my stage, and navigated to the folder in my shared library where I had saved all my flv files on a much earlier session. Nothing there. I did it again, just to prove my own sanity, this time I used the link in the properties menu for the object, still nothing. I worked on other things in the stage before trying yet again, when the files were miraculously right where I thought they should be.

I suppose this could be some kind of network lag, but if that's true, then the library really needs to tell the user that it's busy loading a directory, not just load up a blank one and leave me to wonder where my files went.
~Robert Pirsig
Jolliff

Postby Nav » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:35 pm

Hi,
We were unable to reproduce this problem, and haven't heard of this before.

When there are calls to the server, you should get that spinning hourglass shape. As soon as the hourglass disappears, all the content should be loaded (it's not still trying to contact).

Are you running into this problem frequently? What environment, browser, and version are you working with? If you are able to reproduce the problem, please email support at suddenlysmart, and we'll provide you with login information to our environment or take whatever the necessary steps are to track this down.

- Nav
Nav

Postby Jolliff » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:44 pm

Nav wrote:When there are calls to the server, you should get that spinning hourglass shape. As soon as the hourglass disappears, all the content should be loaded (it's not still trying to contact).

Are you running into this problem frequently? What environment, browser, and version are you working with? If you are able to reproduce the problem, please email support at suddenlysmart, and we'll provide you with login information to our environment or take whatever the necessary steps are to track this down.

I do see the spinning hourglass when I get this error, however, the hourglass disappears and the files do not appear.

I use Windows XP SP2, and Firefox 3. I have seen this problem on multiple occasions, but not "frequently," more like...intermittently. Another of my co-workers has also experienced this issue on her XP SP2 machine, but is not certain which browser she used, IE 7 or Firefox 3.

Let's take the next step for this on Monday, if you don't mind. I'll send you an email first thing. Thanks for being so attentive, though!
~Robert Pirsig
Jolliff

Return to General