Published player.html page

For general questions about content management

Moderator: Leif

Published player.html page

Postby ScottA » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:54 pm

When a lesson is published, an html page is created (player.html). This page includes a default title (SmartBuilder Player) and some javascript functions.

I would like to know if there is a way that it can be published with a different title and some added javascript functions. If I can set some sort of default for publishing these pages.

I have been going into each player.html page after it is published and manually changing the title and inserting the javascript. This works fine, but I'm just wondering if there is an easier, automated way of doing this.

Thanks.
Scott Allison
Veterinary Information Network
ScottA

SmartBuilder player.html page

Postby SB Support » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:32 pm

Hi Scott,

Currently there is no way to configure the player.html file pre-publish. Obviously once you have published the file, it can be edited as desired.

The ability to change the title seems rather useful, so I will forward this need to the usability team to look at as a future enhancement. Would you want the player file to automatically take the name of the lesson, or would it be something different?

What other types of functions do you find you are adding to the player.htm file? Are these unique between lesson instances, or are these relatively consistent across your organization?

In general, as long as your page size scaling settings are the same between lessons, you can just customize one player.html file, and then drop it into new lesson folders to replace the default player file.

SB Support
SB Support

Editing player.html page

Postby ScottA » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:31 pm

We are making learning modules that all have the same extra javascript functions. We also want a customized title.

I was thinking that it would be useful to be able to enter a title and any extra javascript functions when publishing a lesson. However, your final suggestion (customizing one player.html file and then dropping it into new lessons) is a great idea and may be even easier to implement than what I had in mind.

Thanks.

Scott
Scott Allison
ScottA

Sharing assets among published lessons

Postby ScottA » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:14 am

We have been wondering if there is a way for multiple lessons to share some of the assets that are the same among them. We are trying to find ways to make our lessons download quicker when a user opens them.

In particular, the swf files in the lib directory are the same for all lessons. this is the case for individually published lessons and published courses.

We have come up with what appears to be a solution, but it requires a little reorganization of the directory structure. Somewhat tedious. I want to present it here and have reviewed for any errors or misunderstanding in how this works. This example is not for a published course. Only when individual lessons are published.

1. Create a new main directory to put all of the lessons into. (ex: call it Main)

2. Copy tsunamiplayer.swf and player.html from a published lesson into this main directory and rename them to unique names. This includes changing the reference within player.html from tsunamiplayer.swf to this unique name. (ex: lesson1.swf and lesson1.html)

3. Copy the lib and resources directories into this main directory. So now Main has lesson1.swf, lesson1.html files, and lib and resources directories.

4. Copy and rename tsunamilplayer.swf and player.html from another lesson into this main directory. (ex: lesson2.swf and lesson2.html)

5. Go into resources>assets of this 2nd lesson. Go into each asset (jpg, flv, etc.) and copy them in the same place in the new location. (ex: go into the jpg directory and copy the files there. They have unique name like
salt00l000000000003s.jpg. Then paste them into the new location Main>resources>assets>jpg. Do the same for all assets.)

We have done this for 2 lessons and it seems to work. Any comments or suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Scott Allison
VIN Multimedia
Scott Allison
ScottA

Return to General