Creating Folders

For general questions about content management

Moderator: Leif

Creating Folders

Postby ksu » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:38 pm

is there a way to create folders to organize content in the media/assets, templates and shared library folders?

i'm specifically looking for a way to organize content in the 'templates' folder. in order to pass information from one lesson to the next, it is necessary to save a slide as a template and then open it in a new lesson. this results in a lot of templates being created and it's difficult to keep track of them all. folders would be the next step, and would be extremely useful in organizing templates by type (interaction, quiz, layout, master, etc)

another possible solution would be to allow the user to open multiple lessons at once to facilitate copying/pasting between lessons. this doesn't get the 'logic' on a slide but is better than nothing.
ksu

Creating folder

Postby Rob Penn » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:17 pm

Yes, you can create sub-folders in the template folder and in the Shared Libary.

You'll need to have a Group Manager or Administrator role assigned to your user profile in order to create the folders. Assuming that you have the authorization, click on the parent folder where you want to create the folder, then click the Folder menu button on the main tool bar, and select Add, then name the folder.

Then, select the new folder and select Folder > Permissions. This will give you the opportunity to specify read and write permission to the new folder.

Hope that helps.
Robert Penn
800.690.4259 x203
Rob Penn

Postby ksu » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:37 am

thanks rob - i can see this for the 'shared library' folder, but did not see the option to create a folder for the 'templates' or the 'media &assets' folder.

i've also noticed that you can drag and drop files from one folder to another, but that the default behavior is to open the destination folder once you drag something in there. definitely not what i expected - i would prefer that the source folder remain open when sorting.
ksu

Creating Folders

Postby Rob Penn » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:30 pm

The reason that you can't see the Folder menu button for the Template folder is probably because your user group doesn't have "write" permissions for this folder. To obtain this permission, pls. ask you administrator to follow these steps:

1) Select the Template folder
2) Click the Folder menu button on the main toolbar, then select Permissions
3) Select the user user group that you belong to and click the Add Read/Write button
4) Once this is done, you'll need to re-login to the system

Regarding adding sub-folders to your Media & Assets folder, this is not currently supported, but it is on our enhancement list for Q1. Also, thanks for the feedback on the drag and drop behavior for folders. I agree it is better to have the source folder remain selected after dragging. I'll also add this to the enhancement list.
Robert Penn
800.690.4259 x203
Rob Penn

Return to General