Use of Phonetic Symbols

For general questions about content management

Moderator: Leif

Use of Phonetic Symbols

Postby Helen » Thu May 31, 2012 9:26 am

I'm currently building a language course where I would like to use phonetic symbols as per the IPA. However, some of the symbols do no show even when I change from Ariel (embedded fonts) to Ariel (device fonts). Any advice? Helen. :?
Helen

Re: Use of Phonetic Symbols

Postby jmalatino » Thu May 31, 2012 9:58 am

When a device font is used it is drawing the font from the learner or authors computer. If your version of Arial doesn't contain these glyphs they will not display. For such characters that are so unusual I would suggest using graphics. Unfortunately if these characters are needed in normal paragraph text that solution will not work. Also as a side note, if you have translation instances and change the font of a text box on the authoring stage it will not change it for any of the language instances. Those will need to be changed manually in the translation panel. See the following link for a video I recorded about optimizing your lesson for eventual translation. http://help.smartbuilder.com/node/561

Also since issues with translation can be very vexing and if handled incorrectly lead to many hours of re-working I would suggest contacting me via the Live Support Chat and we could do an online meeting where I help you diagnose and solve this issue.
jmalatino

Postby Helen » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:00 am

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I will contact you directly as suggested. Helen :)
Helen

Postby jmalatino » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:57 am

The standard Arial that is installed on most computers doesn't seem to have all of the characters needed to display the phonetic characters needed in this case. We did find that using Arial Unicode MS worked. This is a solution for now but we are still doing some testing on the widespread availability of this font and the possibility of including it as an Embedded SmartBuilder font.
jmalatino

Return to General