Tracking Score and Time to a database rather than an LMS

For issues related to delivery of content to end-learners e.g. LMS tracking via SCORM and delivery of content offline.

Moderator: Nav

Tracking Score and Time to a database rather than an LMS

Postby jwafford » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:48 pm

I am working on a course, and we have conceived a way to pass data from the course into a database instead of the LMS, because our LMS does not currently have the reporting capabilities we need. I am able to pass all of the data from SB into the database with the exception of Raw Score and a Course Time.

Is there a way to pass Raw Score and Course Time to a URL via Setting a Parameter, similar to passing answers, text field data, variable data, etc.? I have tried to do it by SetParameter>SetRawScore>GetRawScore and then send it to a URL, but my database reads it as 0. It is reading Course Time the same way, as a 0.

Does this make sense?
jwafford

Re: Tracking Score and Time to a database rather than an LMS

Postby Nav » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:57 pm

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for posting this on the forum. It's a pretty advanced topic, but I'm sure people will be able to benefit from it.

Because you're not using an LMS, you can't use any of the SCORM API calls or methods. The LMS, not the lesson, actually manages all of these things, and the lesson just sends calls at the particular events. But there are workarounds.

You can create your own variable to store the score, and then send that to the server. What are you using to effect the RawScore? Question Sets? You can create an action that get's a Question Set's score ( Global Variables > Score > setValue > Question Set 1 > getScore ), and even some more complicated like things like adding a score and then dividing by the number of quizzes at the end of the lesson if there are more than one.

As for getting the course time, I can suggest putting a timer on the master page of a lesson, and placing it off the stage. Set it up so that it starts at 0 seconds, that it counts up, and has an interval of 10, 30, or 60 seconds in the Properties panel. Then create an action that has trigger of Timer 1 > onInterval, and a response that sends the current time to the server. I think it will send the time in seconds, but I'm sure that you can adjust for that.

This was a pretty high level description of how you would go about this. If you have any specific questions or any parts were unclear, feel free to ask and I can go into more depth.

- Nav
Nav

Return to Delivery (LMS Tracking / SCORM / Offline Delivery)