Check connection to the LMS

For issues related to delivery of content to end-learners e.g. LMS tracking via SCORM and delivery of content offline.

Moderator: Nav

Check connection to the LMS

Postby rwicker215@aol.com » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:36 pm

Hello,

We've had some issues where people's completion was not reported to the LMS (Saba). This does not occur all the time, so I'm thinking there may be some connection issues either prior or after the person accesses the last page where the completion code exists.

Trigger: Page Controller - onPageLoad
Response: SCORM/AICC-setLessonStatus-completed

Is there a way to check to see if the person is still connected to the LMS after the "completed" status is supposedly sent to the LMS? And, if not, try to reconnect and send the "completed" status.

Can you offer any suggestions to help resolve this issue?

Thank you,
Rebecca
rwicker215@aol.com

Re: Check connection to the LMS

Postby Nav » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:30 pm

I'm not sure about something that automatically checks to see if it's connected, and then keeps retrying, but there are a number of ways I can think of to confirm that it is connected to the LMS.

One solution is to get the name (getStudentName) from the LMS every time the page changes, and then give the user a popup if it can't get the name (can't connect to the LMS).

An even better solution would be to send the completion status (setCompletionStatus) on load of the last page, and then check to see that it is complete (getCompltionStatus). If it doesn't return "completed", then you can alert the user that their connection is bad, and perhaps give them a button to retry setting it to complete and do the check again. If the problem persists, you can tell them to contact their manager / someone that can confirm the lesson is complete and manually update their status/score.

Let me know if that will work for you. You can probably strip that second solution down to be a little simpler, and/or use a template to save time across multiple lessons.

- Nav
Nav

Postby rwicker215@aol.com » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:39 pm

Hi Nav,

I like your second suggestion as well. At first I wasn't sure how to add the checks beyond the page load, but think I have it figured out (with your guidance). If you have a chance, can you please check the lesson named Connection check to see if it looks okay to you?

Thanks,
Rebecca
rwicker215@aol.com

Postby Nav » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:47 am

Hi Rebecca,
Looks like it's set up correctly and runs through our test LMS okay (and shows failure message when it's not on the LMS). Good job!

- Nav
Nav

Postby rwicker215@aol.com » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:42 am

Thanks for checking this, Nav.

We'll test this on our LMS now to see if it helps to resolve some completion issues we believe are due to connection problems.

Thanks again,
Rebecca
rwicker215@aol.com

Return to Delivery (LMS Tracking / SCORM / Offline Delivery)