SCORM Examples

For issues related to delivery of content to end-learners e.g. LMS tracking via SCORM and delivery of content offline.

Moderator: Nav

SCORM Examples

Postby Jim » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:57 pm

Hi everyone,

I have enjoyed reading most of the posts about how to use SCORM in SmartBuilder. Do any of you have a SmartBuilder course I could download to see which SCORM things go where? This way I could learn by revearse engineering.

Thanks, Jim
Jim

Re: SCORM Examples

Postby Nav » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:40 pm

Hi Jim,
Your request is a little vague. What is it that you're reverse engineering? How to set up SCORM actions in the action list? Because most SCORM actions are invisible in downloaded content, until you check an LMS, or you have some log files, both of which probably aren't the easiest way to learn about SCORM. I'd recommend looking at some of the example/templates for some of the more complicated things like bookmarks. If you're curious about how to use SCORM, I suggest taking a look at this page from the Help documentation: http://help.smartbuilder.com/node/209

Or are you trying to learn something more technical, like how the SCORM calls are sent via javascript? In this case, you might want to just ask us.

Let me know if that doesn't help!

- Nav
Nav

Postby Jim » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:07 pm

Thanks Nav,

Nav wrote:What is it that you're reverse engineering? How to set up SCORM actions in the action list?
Yes.

Sorry about being vague. I am trying to see it from the SB side. Our LMS department will work out the rest. However, what I am most interested in is: was the training accessed (Did a roll over occur? Was the video played?); What was the score on the quiz; If a question is missed, will the score, quiz percentage, and correct answer report back to our LMS? Stuff like this. If there was a course out there with these SB actions then I could work backwards to see how to implement into my course.

Thanks for the reply. Talk to you later.

Jim
Jim

Postby Nav » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:46 am

Hi Jim,
I currently don't have any in depth SCORM examples for you to take a look at, but maybe someone else does...?

In any case, you can find the super boring SCORM documentation here (first download link, and the "RTE" pdf file), but I don't recommend it if you're coming at it from a SmartBuilder perspective.
http://www.adlnet.gov/Technologies/scor ... ation.aspx

Instead, take a deeper look at the help page I linked to last time. There's an example of how to set up an action using a SCORM call triggered by a display being shown and causing a setLessonStatus to "complete", as well as a list of methods and some explanations of how they are useful. The SCORM bookmarking template that I referred to earlier is a good example.

Besides that, if you're interested in micro-level reporting such as what someone answers for every question, or if they don't answer it (e.g. they answer 0 or blank), I recommend you look into "Interactions" both in the documentation and the help page. If you want to we can take a look at this together and I can walk you through some of the basics. In the future we'll probably have a video tutorial on the basics of SCORM interactions, but in the meantime, you'll have to settle for me. You can email me at ndhillon AT suddenlysmart DOT com.

- Nav
Nav

Return to Delivery (LMS Tracking / SCORM / Offline Delivery)