AICC Compliance Troubles

For issues related to delivery of content to end-learners e.g. LMS tracking via SCORM and delivery of content offline.

Moderator: Nav

AICC Compliance Troubles

Postby RRattlidge » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:46 am

Hi. Tricky one, this.

We have some e-learning that we created ages ago that works fine on our LMS and uses SCORM.

We now have a client that would like to take this e-learning in-house to avoid potential firewall issues so have asked us to provide them with the e-learning content. They have a 3rd party hosted solution for the e-learning but, awkwardly, it seems their LMS is on their internal network - a different server to the e-learning content. As far as I can understand it, SCORM can only work when the content and the LMS are on the same server as it uses JavaScript which is blocked by browsers (cross-site scripting).

As a result, they're asking us for an AICC version of our e-learning, which uses HTTP to communicate the scores to the LMS that, in theory, should work when the LMS is on a different server to the content. In the first instance as a quick test, given that a lot of the calls are for both SCORM and AICC, I've just tried downloading an AICC version of the course from SmartBuilder host on our LMS (which supports both SCORM & AICC). I'm falling over at the first hurdle as the LMS is asking for a *.crs file, but this hasn't been provided in the downloaded course.

So, my questions for you are:
1. Is it worth trying to get this to work? We're still scoping the project at this stage. The SCORM calls we are using are pretty basic, just scores and completion. Any indication how much work for a typical lesson would be required to convert?
2. What do I need to do to get a *.crs file?

If I've been overly descriptive, this isn't all necessarily t for your benefit - it's so that you can correct anything I've misunderstood!

Many thanks in advance - hope you can help, or at least give me the collateral to say with some authority that it's not worth doing!
Richard.
RRattlidge

Re: AICC Compliance Troubles

Postby Nav » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:53 pm

Hi Richard,
We will look into why the Courses are not providing the .crs file, but the Lessons are, and it runs fine in the AICC test kit, and SCORM.com's Test Track. Try a lesson out.

SmartBuilder implements AICC API communication model instead of the AICC HACP model. Therefore the AICC content shares a similar communication protocol with SCORM 1.2, and will not run in a cross domain environment.

I have no idea what any of that means, but my technical team is doubtful that switching to AICC will work for you.

- Nav
Nav

Return to Delivery (LMS Tracking / SCORM / Offline Delivery)