TOC and Bookmarking

For issues related to delivery of content to end-learners e.g. LMS tracking via SCORM and delivery of content offline.

Moderator: Nav

TOC and Bookmarking

Postby jwilson » Wed May 26, 2010 8:56 am

For my course I want to have a TOC so participants will know all that is going on in the lessons.

This is two fold - The TOC will have links to various points in the course but I don't want those active until the previous pages have been visited. (they can't move forward until they have gotten to that point - but they can go back and do something over if they like).

Within this I also want them to be able to return to where they were during their last session so creating a book mark that is linked to the TOC:
Example could be

Lesson 1
Lesson 2
Lesson 3
Pick up where you left off (bookmark)

I can clarify more if needed.
jwilson

Re: TOC and Bookmarking

Postby Nav » Wed May 26, 2010 4:01 pm

Hi Julie,
This can be accomplished in a number of ways. If you're using an LMS, you can use the setLessonStatus and getLessonStatus to save the bookmark. There's a "Bookmarking using SCORM" template in the Template > Master Page Resources folder.

As for the TOC, it depends on how you build it. We have a "Menu with topics and pages" object that we can extract, store ... then retrieve and reinstate the the visited pages. You can also choose which pages are part of the menu, and which are not.

If you want to build your own TOC, then you can use the information from the bookmark to check off and/or allow access to previous pages/sections. Or you have to find a different way to store which of your "lessons" have been completed. I'd like to see what you're trying to build and it's style before going on more about this. But you'll probably end up using something like

Response: SCORM/AICC > LMSSetValue > "cmi.suspend_data" = "lesson2completed".

Please give me a call at your convenience - 760.444.0358 so we can take a look together.

- Nav
Nav

Return to Delivery (LMS Tracking / SCORM / Offline Delivery)