SCORM scoring

For issues related to delivery of content to end-learners e.g. LMS tracking via SCORM and delivery of content offline.

Moderator: Nav

SCORM scoring

Postby Terry Sayers » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:58 am

I am a bit unclear on what the following SCORM calls do and are used for:
Min Score:
Max Score:
Mastery Score:
Raw score:

What I would like to do is get a percentage of the learners final score to a variable so I can display their final score percentage at the end of the lesson.
Terry Sayers

Re: SCORM scoring

Postby Nav » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:32 am

Hi Terry,
Thanks for posting this on the forum. The Mastery score is the passing threshold. So you might send the following to an LMS:

Min Score: 0
Max Score: 100
Mastery Score: 80
Raw score: 76

If you want to get their score, you could just get their raw score, which should be a value between their min and max scores (so probably between 0-100). So getRawScore is probably what you want.

However, there is no particular reason that you have to go through LMS to get this information. You could also just keep track of it in the lesson since you've probably built an assessment that is creating this score anyway, and then store it in the LMS when you're done. It's up to you.

- Nav
Nav

Postby jmudd » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:57 am

I have a lesson that is saving the interaction in the LMS for each page. That seems to be working great. However, can someone tell me how to have the LMS also keep and update the score for each page that is interacted with, based on correct and incorrect response of course? I don't have a global variable set in the file, just pages with drag-and-drop, input text, radio buttons, and check boxes that need to be scored.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Oops, forgot to say I am using SCORM2004 with my LMS.
jmudd

Postby Nav » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:16 pm

Hi Janet,
This is possible. In addition to "interactions" to report individual answers, SCORM has a method for recording scores for pages/activities/however-you-want-to-slice-up-your-lesson. You create something called an "objective" and record the score to that. It works in much the same way as the entire lesson score does.

Here is a video that shows you how to use SCORM objectives - http://youtu.be/t-tNCzeC2mw

There are a number of other videos that we're producing to explain how to use SCORM calls in SmartBuilder, so this is sort of a sneak peek.

- Nav
Nav

Return to Delivery (LMS Tracking / SCORM / Offline Delivery)