Linking from one lesson to another in the same course

For issues related to delivery of content to end-learners e.g. LMS tracking via SCORM and delivery of content offline.

Moderator: Nav

Linking from one lesson to another in the same course

Postby GrahamJClark » Tue May 03, 2011 3:07 am

What’s the easiest way of creating a link on a page in one lesson in a course so that it opens a page in another lesson in another window in the same course? Thank you.
GrahamJClark

Re: Linking from one lesson to another in the same course

Postby Nav » Wed May 04, 2011 11:24 am

Hi Graham,
I did see your question, but I haven't had a chance to respond to it until now.

There is no easy way to manually link from one lesson to the next if you're using an LMS. This is because it is the LMS's job to handle navigation. If you're using an LMS, you'll want to handle it through what is called Sequencing (I have no idea about the specifics - every LMS is different). I wish the authoring tool could handle this, but if the LMS doesn't serve up the lesson, it doesn't know that you've taken it, how to score it, etc. It's like if a teacher gives you a scantron exam on Topic A, and you after you're done, you write an essay on Topic B on the back of it - no one knows what to do with it.

If you are not using an LMS, then I think an easier solution is to download the individual lessons separately, and not use a course. Use the Basic Download option. Then you can put them in one folder, and make your own "course". With this approach it's easy to put a button on the last page (or where ever) that links to a relative path (e.g., "../lesson4/player.html" {the "../" notation basically says "go up one level"}) that either replaces the current window, or pops up in a new window. This assumes that you have a folder structure like the following:

-psuedoCourse
--lesson1
--lesson2
--lesson3
--lesson4
---lib [these are the files/folders when you extract the SmartBuilder package]
---resources
---player.html
---tsunamiplayer.swf

As a basic resource on hyperlinks, view the help - http://help.smartbuilder.com/node/54

Hope that helps!

- Nav
Nav

Return to Delivery (LMS Tracking / SCORM / Offline Delivery)