Scorm 2004 4th Edition - SB examples

For issues related to delivery of content to end-learners e.g. LMS tracking via SCORM and delivery of content offline.

Moderator: Nav

Scorm 2004 4th Edition - SB examples

Postby monmouthrider » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:12 am

Hi Nav,

I have been testing all four Smartbuilder Scorm examples on various LMSs ahead of some new course builds for a client. The 'Bookmark' and 'Remember Menu Status' examples published/downloaded as Scorm 1.2 work fine on all LMSs.

I have not been able to get 'Scorm Variables Example' and 'Scorm Interaction Example' to work on any LMS. I have tried them as both Scorm 1.2 and Scorm 2004 (I guess they are Scorm 2004 only due to the Scorm features used). There are no runtime error messages from the LMS, they just don't work i.e. set and recall (get) the data.

One of the LMS vendors whom I'm working with for the client believes these two failed as they are Scorm 2004 4th Edition which they don't yet support. I'm not sure that is correct and the failure could be for another reason. Have you had any other issues with people trying to use 'Scorm Variables Example' and 'Scorm Interaction Example' on an LMS?

Cheers

Trevor
monmouthrider

Re: Scorm 2004 4th Edition - SB examples

Postby Nav » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:23 pm

Hi Trevor,
I have heard of something similar once. You can try to edit the "imsmanifest.xml" (don't confuse it with the "manifest.xml" file). On line 5 it says
<schemaversion>2004 4th Edition</schemaversion>

You can change that to
<schemaversion>2004 3rd Edition</schemaversion>

and try to upload that to the LMS. Yes, it's as dumb as that. We're not actually using anything particular to 3rd edition or 4th edition, but we were asked by another client to make the change to 4th edition.

Let me know if you need any help making the change and repackaging the lesson. If this doesn't work, maybe we need to take a look together.

- Nav
Nav

Postby maximise » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:14 am

Hi,

I don't know SCORM. Is there a fools guide? I want to test some of my smple lessons to see how they return scores to our cloud-based VLE.

Any advice?
maximise

Postby jmalatino » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:05 am

I don't know of a really simple guide to SCORM standards. But there is a great free LMS / SCORM testing environment you can use.

http://www.scorm.com

Here is a link to a specific page within the above site that lists all of the possible commands and functions that each SCORM standard can understand.
http://scorm.com/scorm-explained/techni ... reference/
jmalatino

Return to Delivery (LMS Tracking / SCORM / Offline Delivery)