How to track if user has previously completed a lesson

For issues related to delivery of content to end-learners e.g. LMS tracking via SCORM and delivery of content offline.

Moderator: Nav

How to track if user has previously completed a lesson

Postby carol » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:11 pm

Hi -

We want to include a "Print Lesson" button on the first page of each lesson in our course, which has a PDF file linked to it. We only want this button to display on the first page if the user has previously completed the lesson, i.e., our LMS has recorded the lesson as completed. That way if the user exited the lesson and wants to go back in and print the document, he/she can just go into the first page of the lesson and print it. The user cannot print the document if he/she has not completed the lesson, thus the Print Lesson button will not display on the first page of the lesson if the lesson status is incomplete.

I cannot get this to work when I test it - any idea what actions I need to include on this page to make this function properly?

Thanks!
Carol
carol

Re: How to track if user has previously completed a lesson

Postby jmalatino » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:30 pm

I would create a print button that was set to not start visible and then have a conditional action on page 1 of the lesson that checks to see the students completion status. See the image below. Remember that to test this the lesson must be downloaded and then uploaded to an SCORM compatible LMS environment.

check_completed_status.jpg
check_completed_status.jpg (26.61 KiB) Viewed 12304 times
jmalatino

Postby carol » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:35 pm

Thanks - this is exactly the action I used. I am testing it in SCORM Cloud. When I go into the lesson the first time (the lesson status is incomplete), the Print button does not display, which is correct. However, after I complete the lesson and a "completed" status shows, and I go into the lesson a second time, the Print button is not displaying as it should. Does there need to be another action for some sort of server communication to our LMS that SmarBuilder pulls the completed lesson status from?
carol

Postby jmalatino » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:17 pm

I just created a simple example of this functionality and when I loaded it onto Scorm Cloud it worked perfectly. Showing the print button only once the lesson was marked as completed and the lesson was opened a second time or the first page reloaded.

To troubleshoot why your version is not working I would check that when you typed "completed" that it appears exactly that way and that there are no extra spaces at the end, and no capitalization. I do believe that these things can interrupt the proper communication.

Feel free to reach out to us via the Support Chat or reply here and I can further diagnose this issue
jmalatino

Postby carol » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:41 am

I tried it again (double-checked the "completed" spelling) and it still is not displaying the Print Lesson button when going into the lesson a second time after completing it. I am wondering if the "incomplete" status action we also have on this page is interfering (see attached screen shots).
Attachments
Print Lesson 1.jpg
Print Lesson 1.jpg (58.58 KiB) Viewed 12296 times
Print Lesson 2.jpg
Print Lesson 2.jpg (80.64 KiB) Viewed 12296 times
carol

Postby jmalatino » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:04 am

Yes that action is setting the "status" to incomplete as soon as the page loads. Completed is also a "status". There can only be one status. So if the learner took the entire lesson and passed or "completed" the lesson and then they happened to go to this page it would automatically wipe out their completed "status". If you remove that action the conditional showing of the print button will work properly.
jmalatino

Postby carol » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:19 am

I removed the incomplete lesson status from this page and this works fine. Thanks for your help!
carol

Return to Delivery (LMS Tracking / SCORM / Offline Delivery)