iFrame not working in an embedded lesson

For issues related to delivery of content to end-learners e.g. LMS tracking via SCORM and delivery of content offline.

Moderator: Nav

iFrame not working in an embedded lesson

Postby zevenguy » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:02 am

As I have a rather long video playing at the beginning of my lesson, I want to use a youtube link. This will play faster and I don't have to upload a large video. Only problem is that the iFrame isn't showing up when I embed the lesson into an HTML page. The same lesson does work (albeit with the known issue of the iframe appearing 70px too high) where I simply go to the URL box in the Share dialogue.

Here's the URL to the lesson: http://www.suddenlysmart.com/smartbuild ... share.html

Here's the lesson in an embedded HTML page: http://zevengallery.com/video_embed.html

I did this as a test before implementing it in my primary lesson.
zevenguy

Re: iFrame not working in an embedded lesson

Postby zevenguy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:11 pm

Still hoping for an answer.

Since my original post, I tried the same test using an iframe rather than the object tag. Same scenario. The video doesn't show up at all. Is it because it needs to be on the same server (in this case the SmartBuilder server)?

An answer on this would be appreciated.

I am purchasing the pro version tomorrow or Monday but would like to know there is a solution to this before then.
zevenguy

Postby Nav » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:52 pm

Hi There,
I had to check with our development team about this. It isn't possible to use the IFrame with embedding technology. If you just have a regular lesson (like when you view Published content), the IFrame works fine. So if you were to purchase SmartBuilder, and then deploy your lessons in the usual manner (e.g., download the lesson files and upload them to the web, or through an LMS), the IFrame would work. We can probably provide you with a downloaded version of you lesson if you'd want to test that before purchase.

The problem only occurs when using the embed feature. HTML won't allow an IFrame to be launched from inside embed code. It's nothing to do with where the content is located.

Also, if you didn't want to use YouTube, but could host the video elsewhere in FLV or MP4 format, you could use the regular video object's URL property to point to it. The video would still be external to the lesson, but you would remove the need for the IFrame (and be able to cue stuff when the video ends).

- Nav
Nav

Postby zevenguy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:55 pm

Hi Nav,

Thanks for the answer and I figured it would be something like this, but wanted to confirm it. I believe we've now sent the order form to Leif. If not, he'll get it on Monday.

The reason I prefer youtube is that they have very fast video servers and their compression allows for virtually no delay when playing videos. However, I do appreciate the suggestion and will try this as a solution for our pilot lesson.
zevenguy

Return to Delivery (LMS Tracking / SCORM / Offline Delivery)