set/get value in SCORM

For issues related to delivery of content to end-learners e.g. LMS tracking via SCORM and delivery of content offline.

Moderator: Nav

set/get value in SCORM

Postby Terry Sayers » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:26 am

I have a lesson with over 130 screens and I give the learner the option to quit the program at any time and when they return to go to the page they left. That works fine using setSCOLocation. My problem is that throughout the lesson there are several (I have 12) "fireGlobalEvent" that obviously do not fire if the learner jumps to a certain page on their return to the lesson. I came up with an idea of using LMSsetvalue but all I get is an error from my LMS. I want to set a value to populate a variable in the program that will fire the global events on the learners return. So my questions are 1) is this the best way to to this? 2) How do I use LMSset/getValue?
I know I could set up fireGlobalEvent on each page throughout the lesson and that would be an easy solution but that does not seem very efficient to me.
Terry Sayers

Re: set/get value in SCORM

Postby Nav » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:31 pm

Hi Terry,
You want to use setSuspendData and getSuspendData to store and retrieve info from the LMS (not LMSSetData, that's for sending low level calls to the LMS, such as "cmi.core.score.raw", which is how the friendly SmartBuilder calls look on the back end).

Here's a forum post on how to set this up - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=767

And here's the heart of it, these two actions on the Master Page will store all your variables to the LMS, and then retrieve them.

Save values to LMS
Trigger: Page Controller > onPageChange
Response: SCORM/AICC > setSuspendData > Function > Page Controller > getGlobalVariables

Restore from LMS
Trigger: Page Controller > onPageLoad
Response: Page Controller > Set Global Variables > Function > SCORM AICC > getSuspendData

You will, of course, need to configure the state of the pages based on those variable values, though.

- Nav
Nav

Postby Terry Sayers » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:40 am

Works great. Thanks guys.
Terry Sayers

Postby jeevo » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:58 pm

Hello!

This method used to work great for me in the past, but now our company has switched to using SCORM Cloud/SCORM Engine to run our LMS. I've been having errors thrown back that say "Incorrect Data Type" on page change (or page load, hard to tell) and through trial and error, discovered they go away when I disable these actions to send/store the global variables.

My question then, I guess, is: is this method you described (and that I've used flawlessly in the past) SCORM compliant? And if it is not, is there another way to store global variables across multiple sessions? Thanks so much!
jeevo

Postby Nav » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:08 am

Hi Jeevo,
SCORM Could has a very good debug log that will tell you exactly the issue. I haven't used the paid version much, but in the free version it is here - http://screencast.com/t/XQECKwYg7z5 - once you view one of the debug logs, there's even a link at the bottom to share it.

That being said, I have seen this issue before when people have a lot of variables. SCORM 1.2 has a character limit of 4,096 characters. SCORM 2004 has a character limit of 64,000 characters. So if you can download as SCORM 2004 instead of 1.2, that would probably fix your problem right away. If you look at the debug log, it will tell you how many characters you have when it tries and fails to save the data.

If that is not the problem / doesn't fix the issue, please start a Live Support Chat and we can take a look at it together. If you can't do a support chat, please send me the link to the debug log.

- Nav
Nav

Postby jmudd » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:36 am

(you may have answered this but didn't find it)
Is it possible to set and get "value" of drag and drop objects when publishing as a scorm file so that if the page or pages are partially done with that type of activity it will remember what was dropped and return it when the file is accessed again at a later date and/or same session?
jmudd

Postby Nav » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:06 pm

Hi Janet,
Nope, you can't move drag objects to places using Actions. You can only choose "Move all to Correct". They'll have to start over from the beginning.

- Nav
Nav

Postby jmudd » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:18 am

Nav,
I've setup the logic on page 3 to save across pages in the same session. However, my settings are not restoring the choices (using SCORM2004) after closing and re-opening the "lesson". The goal of the "lesson" was for participants to track their own progress for PD that is extending throughout the school year. Would you be able to review the instructions I put together that are found HERE:
http://www.bcpss.org/bbcswebdav/users/jmudd/Public/SmartBuilder/HowTo/SCORM_SendAndRetrieve2LMS.docx
and the SCORM2004 file linked HERE:
http://www.bcpss.org/bbcswebdav/users/jmudd/Public/SmartBuilder/AU.TSS4PARCCReadiness.Aug2013/lo_071000000000001n_3.zip
and let me know if I'm missing something of if it is just not possible.

Thanks!

Janet
jmudd

Postby Nav » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:19 pm

Hi Janet,
I think it would be quicker to look at the lesson together to try to figure out what is going wrong. I did run your lesson through SCORM Cloud and didn't see any interactions or suspend_data being stored or retrieved, only bookmarks. I'm also not sure how you're moving around the lesson. I get stuck on page 3. I'd start up a support chat and we can look at it in a gotomeeting.

I also saw this in your document - http://screencast.com/t/5RES0N2WtcFu we can discuss that on the call, too, to see if that's the best way to do it, or there's another way.

- Nav
Nav

Postby jmudd » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:10 pm

Thanks. Do you have any time this week that we can meet?
jmudd

Return to Delivery (LMS Tracking / SCORM / Offline Delivery)