LMSinititialize error in mobile Chrome, not in Safari

For issues related to delivery of content to end-learners e.g. LMS tracking via SCORM and delivery of content offline.

Moderator: Nav

LMSinititialize error in mobile Chrome, not in Safari

Postby Matthias Kausch » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:15 am

Hi,

I have a problem playing my course lessons in Chrome on iOS and on Android after HTML5 conversion. I am playing the lessons in a pop-up window of my LMS, which doesn't seem to cause a problem on desktop computers (non-mobile browsers). It also doesn't cause a problem with Safari on iPad, which plays the lessons correctly, seemingly including scorm commands (the scorm bookmark works fine). On Chrome (mobile, OSs as above) the LMSinitialize command fails consistently, and (of course) all subsequent SCORM commands are also not executed and fire error messages.

Do you have any experience with how mobile Chrome behaves with regards to pop-up windows (the window opens correctly after disabling the pop-up block in Settings) and SCORM commands? I suspect that this browser blocks communication between the individual windows, but couldn't find any documentation to verify my suspicion. I know this is slightly off topic, but I would appreciate a hint or an answer if possible.

Thanks.

Matt
Matthias Kausch

Re: LMSinititialize error in mobile Chrome, not in Safari

Postby Nav » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:40 pm

Hi Matt,
Hmm, are you sure this not an issue with the LMS and Chrome? Try loading your content on SCORM Cloud and sending yourself an invite to test on your mobile browsers. Actually, here, you can try this one - https://cloud.scorm.com/sc/InvitationCo ... 3517f3a041 (This link will probably not work after a while when I run out of space on my SCORM Cloud account and eventually delete it).

I know for sure that it works on Android Chrome. I don't think the iOS Chrome browser is very good... We weren't couldn't even get the pop up to launch in iOS Chrome, let alone have it load a lesson (any lesson).

- Nav
Nav

Postby Matthias Kausch » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:10 am

Hi Nav,

Thanks for your reply. I will try your suggestion.

I think I may have encountred another problem with SCORM after HTML5 conversion (this time in Safari also): The lessons do not set to complete in the LMS.

Will try this one on SCORMcloud as well and will let you know how I got on.

Kind regards,

Matt
Matthias Kausch

Postby Matthias Kausch » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:15 am

Hi Nav,

Thanks for your helpful thoughts.

The problem with the LMSinitialize failure seems indeed to be a problem with Chrome for iPad (incidentally it also seems to be happening with the Android version of Chrome); testing the lesson in ScormCloud through Chrome was indeed impossible, due to blocked pop-up (even though pop-up block was turned off in the browser settings).

The lesson plays perfectly fine in ScormCloud through Safari for iOS, including setting and retreiving SCORM variables, so no obvious SmartBuilder-relevant issues here. Still having problems with my own LMS, though.

Matt
Matthias Kausch

Postby Nav » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:30 am

Hi Matt,
Do you have a lesson from another authoring tool that you can test? If it does work, we can look at how it is set up, and potentially change our lesson to match.

We might have a Lectora lesson you can try. If you need it, I can email it to you. What version of SCORM are you using?

If we can't get it working with any lesson, I think the only thing to do is talk to your LMS vendor about what environments they support.

- Nav
Nav

Postby gavbaa » Fri May 16, 2014 12:20 pm

I know this is old, but we discovered this in an independent LMS-related issue recently and am posting this for posterity.

Currently, when you open a popup on Chrome on iOS, window.opener doesn't exist. This really breaks a lot of LMSes that have to open mobile courses in popups to deal with sizing and rotation issues, since frames confuse things. It's a known bug, and it appears to be fixed as of M36, which has not been released as of this date.

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issu ... ?id=136610 is the ticket.
gavbaa

Return to Delivery (LMS Tracking / SCORM / Offline Delivery)