Menu Object Widget - need some how-to!

Create unique Flash widgets you can import into SmartBuilder

Moderator: Nav

Menu Object Widget - need some how-to!

Postby Jolliff » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:45 pm

I'm working with a widget that came preinstalled: Menu Object.

I was wondering if there were any tutorials, explanations, or hints/tips on using this object. I've tried a number of things that have worked poorly at best.

My main difficulty (and this probably stems from an overall lack of Flash-savvy) is with building a multiple page presentation, combined with some slick animation (that was, I think, written for us by a SS developer) and a two page display set that switches between a text page (that should be subtitles for the voice-over) and a page containing the Menu Object. Click "read" and the text box is shown, unless it's already visible, then it is hidden. Same for clicking "index" which shows/hides the Menu Object display subset.

Where the heck do I put this display set? If I put it on the master page, the Menu Object subset works fine, as does navigation, but I cannot figure out how to (for example) set text in the "read" subset from, say, page 2, when the "read" display subset I need to change is in the master page. If I try to put it on every page, I can easily modify the "read" text, but the navigation part can't remember if I've been somewhere or not.

I also cannot figure out (if it's even possible) how to get longer titles to wrap in the Menu Object (horizontal scroll bars are evil). I'm also not sure what the difference is between No Scale, Scale, and Scale Proportionally.

My team just bought this product, and I am using it pretty heavily right now, but our training is still almost 2 months away. Any help at all would be incredibly cool!
Qualcomm Enterprise Services - Information Design & Training
"There is an evil tendency underlying all our technology—the tendency to do what is reasonable, even when it isn't any good."
~Robert Pirsig
Jolliff

Re: Menu Object Widget - need some how-to!

Postby Leif » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:10 pm

Can you do a 'save as' of the lesson in question so we could open it up to get a better sense of what you're trying to do?

We've got the answers, but it's not quite clear what your desired behavior is.

Based on your initial description, it sounds like the two things you need are:

For the text:
You do want to centrally locate your "read" text display set on the master page. That way, the action to show and hide it can be centralized.

The trick here is that you will create a display for each page of your lesson, and make the action to show the read text for a page behave like this:

(on the master page) Button.onClick -> Display set.goToDisplay = (function) Page controller.getCurrentPageIndex. That way, it will show the display that corresponds to the page on which your trying to see the text.

You would also probably want to add an action on the master page to hide the text, or go to the correct text display on a page change. It would look like this:

(on master page) Page Controller.onPageChange -> Display set.goToDisplay = (function) Page controller.getCurrentPageIndex or Page Controller.onPageChange -> Display set.hide

For the menu:
You can actually make the menu wider by dragging it wider on the home window.

Additionally, have you opened up the menu widget example in the Shared Library? It may provide some help for understanding how the menu works.
Leif

Postby Jolliff » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:00 pm

I called Rob, who just returned my call, and he has talked me through the issues I was having (basically, that I'm a noob, and need the training).

I'll check out the example in the shared library, too.

You guys have been giving me excellent customer service. Thanks so much!

I just wanted to say that publicly, so others who cruise through here can see what an upstanding company this is!!!
Qualcomm Enterprise Services - Information Design & Training
"There is an evil tendency underlying all our technology—the tendency to do what is reasonable, even when it isn't any good."
~Robert Pirsig
Jolliff

Postby SB Support » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:34 pm

Thanks Chris!
SB Support

Return to Using the Object SDK