Master Page layer bass-ackwards

Not sure how to classify your post? Post here

Moderator: Leif

Master Page layer bass-ackwards

Postby mrbobbo » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:56 pm

I was surprised to learn that all objects on the Master Page go in front of those on the active page. To me this seems to complicate matters. For example, if I want a nice frame on my lesson, I thought I could put two background shapes on the Master page, with their borders very close to the page edges, and the larger (outer) one having a dark fill and the inner one having a white fill. The white fill covers all the page elements of the active page!

There must be some reason why this design decision was made. Can someone explain to me that logic... obviously I'm missing out on the advantages.

thanks,
Bob
mrbobbo

Re: Master Page layer bass-ackwards

Postby sshipe » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:40 pm

Actually, there is an option in the Properties panel for the Master Page that allows you to select whether you want the Master Page Layer to be On Top or On Bottom. From our perspective, we generally DO use the On Top option since we place all of our navigation and menu components on the Master page and need them to be on top of all other pages. In this version of SB, the layering is an all or nothing type of affair though which means that all objects that you put on stage will either be layered on top or on the bottom depending on your setting. If you are like we are, we have the need for both a background that should be on the bottom at all times and other standard navigation items that should be on top. The way to get that effect is to use the Background Graphic option found in the Properties Panel of the Master Page. Instead of creating your frame using SB objects, create them in a graphics program to fit your lesson size and then pull it in via the Background Graphic propery.

I seem to recall that there have been requests from others to allow individual objects to be layered differently on the Master Page; but, that may be a limitation of the current platform and have to wait for a future version.
sshipe

Re: Master Page layer bass-ackwards

Postby mrbobbo » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:20 am

So there is. Thank you sshipe!
mrbobbo

Return to Miscellaneous