Captivate 5 and page controller

Not sure how to classify your post? Post here

Moderator: Leif

Captivate 5 and page controller

Postby tahiya » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:36 am

Maybe I'm just not seeing it in the documentation, but I want to use the same functionality that lets you automatically move to the next page when the video is done, but for a Captivate 5 file put in with the iFrame object. Where do I start?
play, play, play
tahiya

Re: Captivate 5 and page controller

Postby Nav » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:02 pm

Hi Tahiya,
I'm sorry, but this is not possible. Because Captivate 5 uses as3 exclusively, it cannot be placed directly inside SmartBuilder. Therefore the methods that we use to allow Captivate 4 to communicate with SmartBuilder will not work.

- Nav
Nav

Postby tahiya » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:52 am

Actually I did find a workaround. I set up a timer to instantiate when the page loads and the timer counts down a time span about 2 seconds longer than the Captivate file takes to play. It's off screen so when it gets to 00 it advances to the next slide. Additionally, if the user decides to just move ahead without waiting for the captivate file to end, it cuts off, including the audio, which I was worried might continue running and bleed into the next page. I assume this means that when a user moves to the next SB page whatever activity was going on in the previous page is just halted and the new page is all that is working?

I kept the play bar in the captivate output so the user can advance to slides within the Captivate 5 file or pause or whatever, just as if they were still in Captivate, and I sized the object so that the page controller from SB is still visible in the viewers clickable area. It seems to work OK, the only part I'm sort of still troubleshooting is how to get the controllers in captivate and SmartBuilder to look visually similar enough that the user doesn't find it distracting when they go to a SB page and see the audio controlled by a play bar that looks significantly different from the play bar for the captivate object. This also allows me to use the closed captioning functionality of Captivate. Universal design is important to me.
play, play, play
tahiya

Postby Nav » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:43 pm

Hi Tahiya,
Yes, the timer thing works. So long as the user doesn't pause their Captivate for any extent of time. That makes using a timer a little tricky.

There is no way to skin SmartBuilder's audio or video controls. You can not use the actual controls and sort of "fake" them with a graphic, and then use hotspots to make them interactive (like clicking the play/pause buttons). The only thing is that the scrubber won't move. Can you alter the look of the Captivate controls?

- Nav
Nav

Return to Miscellaneous