Video controller and animations

Video controller and animations

Postby rwicker » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:58 pm

Hello,

I've been using timed animations along with video that synch. I like using the controller that shows the streaming progress bar, because I find it is useful for students.

It would be nice to be able to have more control over the video controller to know if someone clicked on the pause button in order to also pause the animation, or to know to synch the animation with where someone has dragged the video scrubber. If that's not possible, I'd like to be able to create a video controller that will show a streaming progress bar without a scrubber.

Currently, I've been covering the video control features (pause, replay, and progress bar) with a semi-transparent shape to differentiate them and providing information to the student to let them know the controls are disabled for the duration of the animation/video. I enable the controls at the end of the animation for video replay.

Thank you,
Rebecca
rwicker

Re: Video controller and animations

Postby Nav » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:43 pm

HI Rebecca,
Unfortunately there's no way to set the time on a timeline object, so synchronizing the animation based on the video object's time is impossible. And there's no easy way to edit to the video object so that it does not have a scrubber. You can create an SDK object using flash that gets rid of the scrubber, but I imagine that's too much effort for anyone that isn't at least very comfortable with programming in Flash (it's certainly beyond me at this point).

There is an enhancement coming to add onPlay and onPause methods onto the video object, which will allow better syncing with a timeline animation. I don't know the exact release date for that, but I can check on it and get back to you tomorrow.

So it seems like your masking of the scrubber and play and pause buttons seems to be working. Why not use a completely transparent shape to always cover the scrubber (so that learner's can't drag it, but can still see it)? Or, once the update comes along, you can make your semi-transparent mask smaller so that it covers just the progress bar until the video is over, and then allows the learner the ability to move around the video at will. The replay and play/pause button can then always be accessible by the learner.

So as a summary, your simpler solutions (play/pause) are already being worked on, and should be available shorty, but unfortunately your more complex solutions (gotoTime on the timeline, and customizing the video object) are not going to be made. However, these are understandable needs and uses, and they will be factored in when designing SB4. I believe a completely separate video timeline object is in the works for that, which will eventually resolve all these problems and make life much simpler!

- Nav
Nav

Postby rwicker » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:03 am

Hi Nav,

Thank you for the additional information on this. I understand that one can use Listeners in Flash to control video and animation synching. I don't know, however, how to create SDK objects. Perhaps someone at SuddenlySmart can provide a video tutorial on how to do that. I believe it would be helpful to many users.

It's great to hear that a completely separate video timeline object is in the works. That will help with these issues. And when it is available, we'll get rid of the covers we've placed on the replay and pause buttons. We'll leave the visible cover on the progress bar area. We chose to make it visible, so it will be noticeably different to the student. That way, when they see the gray semi-transparent cover, they'll automatically know the scrubber is inaccessible.

Thanks again,
Rebecca
rwicker

Postby Nav » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:12 pm

Hi Rebecca,

I checked on the delivery date for the onPlay/onPause methods for the video object. They should be available to you in early January with release 3.8.

As for some of the other things, SB4 is currently early in development, which is both good and bad. It means a video timeline object is far away, but, on the good side, now is the best time to comment on things that you find frustrating or time consuming, so that as we design the new system we can work to streamline these. So fire away! (But please be constructive. We have feelings, too...)

As for creating a SmartBuilder widget, again, that's a pretty laborious task. I don't think a video tutorial would be able to encompass all the parts. One has to (a) be familiar enough with ActionScript (Flash's programming language) to create a little device that works internally, and then (b) has to make that jive with SmartBuilder. Documentation does exist (in the Shared Library > SmartBuilder Widgets folder) to show how to make one's widget work with SmartBuilder, but there's no quick way to teach comfort, creativity, and innovation with a programming language, especially through a video tutorial.

We'll send out an email or post in the new release section of the forum when the update is out and list all of the features. Happy authoring!

- Nav
Nav

Postby rwicker » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:27 pm

Hi Nav,

Thank you for this update. We look forward to the 3.8 release in January, and will continue to post questions and suggestion for potential improvement as they come to mind.

We appreciate all of the work you and your company put into the continuous improvement of SmartBuilder. It is a great development tool.

Kind regards,
Rebecca
rwicker

Postby Nav » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:10 am

Hi Rebecca,
I just wanted to make sure that you knew this onPlay/onPause functionality has been working since the 3.8 update. There is a lesson called "Video syncing example" in the Examples folder that has a Timeline object synchronized to a Video object. Let me know if you have any questions.

- Nav
Nav

Postby rwicker » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:31 am

Hi Nav,

Thank you for this update. I did happen to see onPlay/onPause listed as a feature incorporated in the 3.8 release.

Going forward, I'll leave the gray cover on the scrubber area, but will remove the cover from the Pause/Play button and add the needed code to stop/play the animation.

I'm already anxious for the 4.0 version. Keep up the great work.

Thanks again for everything.
Rebecca
rwicker

Postby Nav » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:41 am

Just to resurrect an old thread and go into the details a bit... When synchronizing a timeline object and a video, you can create actions so that as the video pauses to download more (buffer), it will also pause the Timeline. The actions would look like this:

Trigger: Video > onPlay
Response: Timeline > play

Trigger: Video > onPause
Response: Timeline > pause

And you'll want to make sure that the Timeline object is NOT set to Autoplay, while the Video object IS set to Autoplay. This is because the Video is the one in control, and the Timeline is being told when to go and when to stop by the video.

- Nav
Nav

Postby rwicker215@aol.com » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:52 am

Hi Nav,

This is great. Thank you for the additional details.

Kind regards,
Rebecca
rwicker215@aol.com

Return to Feedback & Enhancement Requests