Font pack loading...

Font pack loading...

Postby RRattlidge » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:57 am

Hi,

I do a lot of work on Chinese versions of lessons. This means, at least as far as I'm aware, that every time I want to work in Chinese, I need to download the font pack (approximately 15MB) to my machine. I have to wait again when I change to Traditional Chinese (another 15MB). Then again after lunch if my connection's timed out.

Given that this file isn't constantly changing, is there any way I can store this font pack somewhere locally on my machine so that I don't have to wait each time for it to be downloaded?

Is this already possible? If not, is this something that could be?

Many thanks,
richard .
RRattlidge

Re: Font pack loading...

Postby Nav » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:31 pm

Hi Richard,
There isn't a way to download and hold on to the Chinese embedded font. However, you could always use a device font, such as Arial, instead of the embedded font. This would mean that you and your learners wouldn't have to download the font every time since it's already stored on your PCs.

There are some issues to be aware of when using device fonts. Here are the ones that I can think of:
- End learners will need to have Chinese installed on their machines to view it properly (which is probably the vast majority of learners who speak Chinese).
- There may be complications with exporting translation text and running it through Excel. If you don't currently use this feature it might not be a big deal. If you do use it, we can test this to confirm there aren't any issues.
- You have to change all the text boxes' fonts manually.
- Device fonts always differ a little bit, and might be sized slightly differently when you view them on different computers. Since you're already factoring in different sized languages, this probably isn't an issue.

Let me know what you think about device fonts. We should probably set up a call so we can talk about this.

- Nav
Nav

Postby Nav » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:33 pm

Hi again Richard,
Actually, it looks like you're already using device fonts, probably to cut down on your lesson size.

The problem I guess is simply when you open the Translate panel in the lesson? Because SmartBuilder thinks that the translation named "Chinese" is going to use the embedded Chinese font, it automatically loads that font.

For future projects, if you plan to continue using device fonts, instead of choosing a "Chinese" translation, create a "Custom" translation, and call it something like "Chinese - device".

Let me know if this is not the problem you're running into.

- Nav
Nav

Postby RRattlidge » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:13 am

Hi Nav,

Apologies, I should have mentioned that we are using device fonts.

You're right, the issue is purely in the loading of the translation window rather than of a published lesson. In fact, one of the reasons that it's frustrating to wait for the font pack to load is that none of the lessons use it!

I shall take your advice and call the language something other than Chinese in future projects.

Many thanks, as always.

Richard.
RRattlidge

Return to Feedback & Enhancement Requests