Format support: ogg

Format support: ogg

Postby rwicker215@aol.com » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:42 am

Hello,

Are there plans for SmartBuilder to support .ogg video/audio file formats? We mainly use that format, and it would be nice to not need to convert the files prior to loading into SmartBuilder.

Kind regards,
Rebecca
rwicker215@aol.com

Re: Format support: ogg

Postby Nav » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:59 pm

Hi Rebecca,
This is currently impossible for SB3. It might be possible in the future with version 4, but that is still in development.

- Nav
Nav

Postby rwicker215@aol.com » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:22 am

Hi Nav,

We've run into an issue where our IT department will no longer install LAME to use with Audacity. LAME allows Audacity to output mp3 files. The non-installation of LAME occurred when someone new to using SmartBuilder wanted to add audio.

I followed up with our IT department to learn what the issue is regarding the non-installation of LAME, and also to learn which open source converter they'd recommend. I suggested soundKonverter, but wanted their input.

A member of our IT department said they
"receive a lot of mails from associates who need to play mp3/wav and other non-open formats. However the major problem with these codecs are the fact that they are patented and we cannot deploy them internally without a license from the patent owners.

If you look at lame they:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAME#Paten ... gal_issues
make the fact clear that it would not be legal to deploy this internally.

About other mp3 decoders/converters, since they use a reverse engineered algorithm for mp3 conversion they would be equally illegal."

Below is my response this morning to IT:
Thank you for this information.

We use an application for build training modules that requires audio to be in the mp3 format. We've requested the maker of the application to allow audio to be provided in the .ogg format, and they are looking into that for their next release. Unfortunately, the current version cannot accept .ogg.

Is there any solution for this issue besides *not* including audio?

I am awaiting IT's response, and will provide an update when received.

I understand SmartBuilder's audio object only accepts the mp3 format. Do you have any recommendations for us regarding this issue?

Kind regards,
Rebecca
rwicker215@aol.com

Postby Nav » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:17 pm

Hi Rebecca,
I didn't even realize that mp3 was patented, but I guess that makes sense. Unfortunately ogg support isn't even technically possible in SmartBuilder 3 due to the fact that it is built in AS2.

As I understand it, the problem isn't playing the mp3s, correct? I'm sure Adobe and it's Flash Player have the license to play mp3s, right?

So the problem is only in creating them? Might iTunes on your Macs read ogg files and convert them to mp3? Oh, I guess not. Are there any other programs out there that are licensed to create mp3s? Are there any other formats that you can go through to get from ogg to mp3?

- Nav
Nav

Postby Nav » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:27 pm

Playback of the mp3 codec is fine, since all operating systems have these built in, right? It's just creating mp3s. What about purchasing or using software only on a certain computer, and converting all your audio on that machine?

- Nav
Nav

Postby rwicker215@aol.com » Fri May 14, 2010 1:03 pm

Hi Nav,

According to Fraunhofer's site (http://www.iis.fraunhofer.de/EN/bf/amm/ ... /index.jsp), an end user may use Apple iTunes or Windows Media.

Now the question is what to use to produce and distribute mp3s if you're in the commercial sector. Any recommendations?

Does the SmartBuilder application cover the distribution of mp3s?

Kind regards,
Rebecca
rwicker215@aol.com

Postby Nav » Mon May 17, 2010 1:30 pm

Hi Rebecca,
We don't per se, but since the output is a Flash format and going through Flash player, then it would seem like Flash would be the one that needs to cover the distribution of mp3s. Whether or not they do might be a question that you want to pose to Adobe directly, or to Fraunhofer, and see if you get a response in the positive.

- Nav
Nav

Postby rwicker215@aol.com » Wed May 19, 2010 7:54 am

Thanks Nav.

So far the information I found on Fraunhofer's site points to there not being any licensing issues re: mp3s when used for education purposes and distributed to less than 5000. I'll dig further for information re: more than 5000.

Kind regards,
Rebecca
rwicker215@aol.com

Postby tahiya » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:20 pm

What about Adobe SoundBooth? that puts out MP3's... and is purchased for commercial uses...
play, play, play
tahiya

Return to Feedback & Enhancement Requests