Ability to affect more properties for responses

Ability to affect more properties for responses

Postby sshipe » Tue May 11, 2010 9:33 am

I would like to see SB have the ability to affect more of an object's properties as part of the response selections.

For example, on a Shape object, it would be nice to be able to change the various propery settings such as position, size, graphic effect, line width, line color, etc. The same would be true for all other objects as well.

To keep the selection list for responses more manageable, perhaps a structure like this would work:

Response:
Object Name:
Properties:
-setPosition
-setSize
-setLineColor
-setFlipHorizontal
-etc.

Being able to affect more of the various properties for each object would alleviate the need to create duplicates of an object. For example, currently, if I want a Shape to be moved from one location to another on a given trigger, I need two instances of it...one for the original position and one for the new position.
sshipe

Re: Ability to affect more properties for responses

Postby Nav » Thu May 13, 2010 9:40 am

Hi Steve,
I think the original idea was to err on the side of simplicity and WYSIWYG. The more you do with actions, the less WYSIWYG the authoring stage becomes, because you really have no idea what it's going to look like at run time. I think there's an argument to be made as to whether creating multiple objects is simpler and faster than the creation-preview-adjust-preview cycle that you'd need to do if you set all this up with actions.

That being said, more functionality and flexibility is almost always better. I know we are planning on implementing a Move method with version 4, as well as styles. I can mention that being able to switch styles on a shape dynamically (which would have things like line width, flip horizontal, etc) will be useful, or simply adding the methods that you mentioned.

Thanks for the suggestion, and we'll definitely add it for consideration as we move forward with version 4 development. Version 4 won't be around for a while, however, so keep that in mind (late 2010-2011?).

- Nav
Nav

Re: Ability to affect more properties for responses

Postby sshipe » Fri May 14, 2010 8:27 am

Nav,

I agree, simplicity is a good thing; however, as you mentioned flexibility is also a good thing. :)

One of the best things about SB right now is that it provides a myriad of ways to do many things (flow chart, actions, etc.) and I like having that flexibility. I am finding that there are times when I have so many objects on a page (crazy projects, don't ask) that it would be cleaner in this case to let actions handle a lot of the "heavy lifting" rather than having variations of an object. Not to mention, I find that working with actions actually becomes more time consuming with a lot of objects because I have to cycle through so many to find what I need when creating those actions.

In any event, I look forward to seeing what comes to fruition with SB4 and a,m confident that you all will keep requests like this on the radar. It sounds like what you are already planning may accomplish much of what I am looking for.

Thanks,
Steve
sshipe

Return to Feedback & Enhancement Requests