Methods of date pseudo-widget

Methods of date pseudo-widget

Postby mrbobbo » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:50 pm

Nav told me on a phone call that the date pseudo-widget had a getEvent method and that the event name is the date. But when I use the widget it has no such method. Am I using the right one, etc?

Thanks,
Bob
mrbobbo

Re: Methods of date pseudo-widget

Postby Nav » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:55 pm

Hi Bob,
Since it's a psudeowidget, it doesn't have any visible methods. If it did, then it would be a full-blown widget.

For the Date psuedowidget, all you need to do is use the SWF Messenger's getEvent method. So to place it in a text object, you'd set up an object like so:

Trigger: SWF Messenger > onEvent
Response: Text 1 > setText > Function > SWF Messenger > getEvent

- Nav
Nav

Postby mrbobbo » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:34 am

Thanks Nav. The mechanism you're suggesting is pretty obscure, and it isn't working for me. I have the date pseudo-widget, the messenger, and a text object on my page. I have a messenger onEvent trigger whose response is to set the text object to the messenger's getEvent method. I run the page. The date pseudo widget displays the date and that's all that happens. You didn't explain what causes the event for the getEvent to fire in the first place. Is that something I have to do manually, in code, is it automatic?
mrbobbo

Postby Nav » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:03 pm

Does this help? http://screencast.com/t/HSTV8BBC EDIT: the following video is much more descriptive - http://screencast.com/t/gQrd2oXoJBe

Internal to the SWF is code that executes as soon as it loads. It changes the text inside the SWF, and promptly fires an event. So it should be automatic.

If you're trying something more complex, like sending the date to the Master Page or something, you might want to build a simple case first.

- Nav
Nav

Postby mrbobbo » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:05 pm

Hmmm. What I described sounded pretty simple to me. Any idea why it's not working for me?
mrbobbo

Postby Nav » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:09 pm

Not without seeing your lesson. Can you create a screengrab of your actions and/or a video of what you're trying to do?

- Nav
Nav

Postby mrbobbo » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:11 pm

Nav, I think I see the problem but don't know the solution. I looked at the video again. I understand how to make the connection between the pseudowidget and the text element. But I don't see where the pseudowidget came from. When I choose More Objects and Browse and Shared Library and Sample Flash Animations, the pseudowidget isnt shown (nothing is). The problem I reported is because I found it by selecting SWF Messenger, but that didn't work. The video doesn't show where the pseudo widget lives. How to I get access to it to bring it onto a page?

Thanks,
Bob
mrbobbo

Postby Nav » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:40 pm

Hi Bob,
Thanks for asking. It was covered in the beginning of the last video, but it was a little confusing. Here's a video that I think will be a little clearer - http://screencast.com/t/gQrd2oXoJBe

- Nav
Nav

Postby mrbobbo » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:03 am

Works now for me. I don't know why it didn't before, since I think I tried the same technique. Oh well. Thanks for your help Nav... Bob
mrbobbo

Return to Feedback & Enhancement Requests