get course name

For issues related to understanding the basics, system terminology, and becoming familiar with SmartBuilder

Moderators: Rob Penn, Leif

get course name

Postby gbiot » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:26 am

Hello,

I am a newbie in SmartBuilder and I am trying to send the results of a test by mail. I need to include the name of the student and the group.
To send the mail I call a php script using the URL object from SB. I set the student name as a parameter. But I don't know how to get the course name.

In my case SB lessons are on Ilias LMS. In Ilias, the lessons made in SB are organized in courses, and each course can be followed by a group of people. So a group can start the course in January, and another group can start the same course in March.
So do you know how could I get the course name in SB?

Thank you in advance.
gbiot

Re: get course name

Postby Nav » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:12 pm

Hi There,
So you want to get the lesson name from the LMS? I don't believe there is a SCORM call for that. I was looking over all the available SCORM calls here - http://scorm.com/scorm-explained/techni ... reference/ and none look like they send that information.

Is it necessary to get it from the LMS? Could you instead just get that information from the lesson itself? Perhaps in a text object placed off screen, or hard coded into the action that is calling the php script? Or is it that it is the same lesson, but has different names in the LMS, and that's what you're trying to capture.

You may need to ask your LMS provider if there is a way, because this doesn't seem like a SCORM-standard call. If they do have some way to bring it in, you can generally use SCORM/AICC > LMSGetValue to get information that isn't one of the prebuilt ones we have (like getScore or getStudentName). LMSGetValue works with any of the options from the link I sent I you, but it may also work if the LMS is using the same type of calls for this extra information.

Let me know if anything is unclear, but I think your next step is to ask the LMS vendor if this is something they make available to the lesson (or if you need to grab it from the LMS at all).

- Nav
Nav

Return to Getting Started