Adding elements to a display in a display set

For issues related to understanding the basics, system terminology, and becoming familiar with SmartBuilder

Moderators: Rob Penn, Leif

Adding elements to a display in a display set

Postby Ray Cole » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:58 pm

Hi,

I'm just starting to explore the capabilities of SmartBuilder. At the start of my course, I have a page with 3 icons. The learner is invited to click each to learn about, respectively, the course objectives, course length, and how to get credit for completing the course. These icons are aligned across the top of the screen.

When any icon is clicked, I want to display a set of objects in the lower part of the screen in response.

My idea is to create a display set with 3 displays, one to hold each set of elements that should be displayed when each of the icons is clicked. The problem I'm having is that by default I get a text object, a shape object, and a button when I click the Display Set button, but those are not the exact set of elements I want in my display set. I can delete unwanted elements like the shape object--that's no problem. But I can't figure out how to add in the other elements that I want, such as the graphic representing the course's "digital coach." Some of the elements are "trace lines" that connect the clicked icon to a partial border around the response content, and these elements need to be carefully aligned with other elements that are on the screen but will not be part of the display set. I assume I can drag the elements around within the display set so that they line up with other elements on the page, but I am not 100% sure because I haven't figured out how to add the elements to the display in the first place.

Can someone either tell me how to add new elements to a display, or point me to documentation that covers this? I couldn't find it in the video tutorials or in the Help.

Thanks!
Ray Cole

Re: Adding elements to a display in a display set

Postby Ray Cole » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:49 pm

I just figured out from an earlier question posted elsewhere on this board that I can add new elements to the display if I make sure to first select the display in the cast. With the display selected, I can then add or copy/paste new elements into the display. And I can position them where ever I want.

So all's good.

Thanks!
Ray Cole

Return to Getting Started