dynamic content

For issues related to understanding the basics, system terminology, and becoming familiar with SmartBuilder

Moderators: Rob Penn, Leif

dynamic content

Postby byrnep » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:34 am

Hi,

I am only starting out with Smartbuilder. I have experience with Flash AS3. I am making and e-learning course. I would like to incorporate dynamic text fields into the course, so any piece of content can be replaced or edited externally. The reason this is important is because the e-learning course will need regular updates, the updates will be done by somebody with no technical experience.

I have used flash before for calling content from external files, this way the person updating can just change the external .txt file and not have to edit the .fla file and re-export.

Does smartbuilder support dynamic content for this reason?

Thank you

Paula
byrnep

Re: dynamic content

Postby Nav » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:58 pm

Hi Paula,
There is an XML solution that is similar to what you're describing, but it was designed for use with translated versions. Also XML is probably a more technical method than what you're looking for.

Instead, SmartBuilder can export all its text into a Excel spreadsheet, which can be edited by anyone that has used Microsoft Office. Then you can re-import that text into the SmartBuilder lesson. To learn more about this, please view the Help page here - http://help.smartbuilder.com/node/110

This will mean that you have to download the lesson from SmartBuilder each time you want to make updates, but you do get some distinct advantages with that. One is every time you Publish the lesson (which you'll do before you download), you will get a version that you can roll back to if necessary. You can also make sure that your text changes do not cause problems with overlapping (if you add more text), and have a chance to correct it before going live. I recommend using this method for enabling less technical users to alter text in SmartBuilder.

- Nav
Nav

Re: dynamic content

Postby Nav » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:30 pm

Just to clarify, the XML approach is pretty easy to do. It just has more data that is exposed (such as font color and special characters), and if the person editing it is clumsy, they can mess stuff up.

Also, just to state the obvious, if you are only changing the XML, then of course your lesson in the SmartBuilder authoring tool will not be updated, so you'd either end up with an out of date lesson in SB, or have to manage the lesson there as well.

I still recommend text Export and Import for the majority of users.

- Nav
Nav

Return to Getting Started