Help! Publishing Issue!

For issues related to understanding the basics, system terminology, and becoming familiar with SmartBuilder

Moderators: Rob Penn, Leif

Help! Publishing Issue!

Postby jmckean » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:10 am

Hello All,

I created a Lesson but when I publish it, I see nothing but the master page. The first page flashes for a quick second and then I flip through and see nothing. I am not sure what I did wrong.

I am desperate to turn in my assignment for my graduate class and I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.

Thanks,
Jessica
jmckean

Re: Help! Publishing Issue!

Postby Nav » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:31 am

Hi Jessica,
This is a common issue, and it stems from a misunderstanding of the Master Page layer. Basically, the Master Page is layered on top by default (so that popup resources don't show up behind regular page content). So if you have a graphic on the Master Page, it's basically blocking all your page content from showing!

There's two ways to fix this:
  • You can change the Master Page layer to On Bottom. This is fine as long as you don't have any popup resources (like a menu, or notes).
  • You can delete the graphic from your Master Page. Instead use the Master Page property called "Background Graphic". This will layer the image on the very bottom, and keep it from obscuring your other content.
Here's a video that shows both solutions: http://screencast.com/t/btHAy6re

And here's the help page on the topic: http://help.smartbuilder.com/node/154

- Nav
Nav

Re: Help! Publishing Issue!

Postby jmckean » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:46 pm

Of course it would be something so simple! I even recall watching that in the video. The odd thing was I used background color on the master page in properties but I left the master page on "top". DUH! Thanks for saving me. I manage Moodle (including faculty training) so making a boneheaded mistake reminds me to be patient with my own customers!

Have a great day!

Jessica
jmckean

Re: Help! Publishing Issue! - items not showing.

Postby maximise » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:54 pm

Yes, I had a similar problem with buttons not showing - I wanted a 'quit' button to replace the standard 'next' button. Everything looked fine in design view but upon previewing, the darn button would not show! A quick chat to your brain surgeons at SB soon put me right about moving the Master page from Top to Bottom. Thanks again!
maximise

Return to Getting Started