Drop Alignment

For issues related to understanding the basics, system terminology, and becoming familiar with SmartBuilder

Moderators: Rob Penn, Leif

Drop Alignment

Postby maximise » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:48 am

My previous Drag 'n Drops have all worked perfectly. Until Now! This strange problem arises when dropping onto a hotspot (28 in all) and the object text drops to the left of the hotspot.
Capitals.jpg
Capitals.jpg (166.47 KiB) Viewed 11789 times
maximise

Re: Drop Alignment

Postby jmalatino » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:01 am

I have made a copy of your lesson and made you a co-owner. It can be found in your Work in Progress folder. I made your drag items "capitol city names" all the same width of 106px and made the drop zone hotspots all the same width of 108px. Having your drop zones be a little bigger than your drag items is a good working practice in SmartBuilder. Then I turned on the auto-align function within the Drag and Drop Dialog Box. See screencast link below. Without this unchecked the learner can drag item ontop of other previously dragged items. With it checked if they try that it will not allow them to drop an item into an zone that has already been filled. It also has some useful options for aligning. All of your drag items will now align properly once dropped.

http://screencast.com/t/KslIZcVW

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about this.
jmalatino

Postby maximise » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:16 pm

Many thanks! Much appreciated! I think that 'top' was the only option that I did not try - can you explain what 'top' actually means?
maximise

Postby jmalatino » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:28 pm

In your lesson you did not have the checkbox checked that engages the auto-alignment. It must be checked for the options to take effect. Also the drag item MUST be smaller by at least 1 pixel in each dimension than the drop zone. "It has to fit inside". If you make a large drop zone and several drag items are going to be dropped in this zone it will control the spacing of the items. So "Top" will align them from the top edge of the drop zone with the spacing in pixels determined by the number you enter. This is for tall drop zones. If your drop zone was wide, you would select "Left". This would arrange the items left to right with the spacing again determined by the number you enter. These setting will also work if you want to have only one drag item dropped in a zone the settings will still work the same and will allow you to customize the spacing and positioning of the drag item within the drop zone. This is because the spacing is also spacing the drag item that specified number of pixels away from the edge of the drop zone.

Here is a short video showing this in action.

http://screencast.com/t/jCRDYiSs
jmalatino

Postby maximise » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:35 am

Again, You guys are Brilliant!

Thanks
maximise

Return to Getting Started