Merging lessons

For general questions about Content Authoring

Moderator: Nav

Merging lessons

Postby pbcctemp1 » Thu May 08, 2008 3:10 pm

Is there a way to merge two lessons together? I know I can create a course with multiple lessons in it, but I want one lesson.

Thanks,

George
pbcctemp1

Re: Merging lessons

Postby Leif » Thu May 08, 2008 11:31 pm

Your best bet is to copy the pages from one lesson, and paste them into the other. If you open lesson 1, use the Edit>Page Sequence window. You can multi-select the pages you want to copy, then click the copy icon.

Close that lesson, and open the lesson to which you want to paste the new pages. At that point, open the Page Sequence window and paste.

Voila!
Leif

Postby pbcctemp1 » Fri May 09, 2008 12:59 pm

Hi Lief,

I tried several times and it doesn't work for me. I can copy a page within the same lesson, but not copy a page into a different lesson. When I copy into the new lesson the title of the lesson is "copy of Page X". When I open the lesson it is not the one I copied from the original lesson.

George
pbcctemp1

Postby Leif » Mon May 12, 2008 2:32 pm

Hi George.

I've just confirmed it's working for me on my end, so I'm going to try to capture my steps as accurately as possible.

I opened lesson 1 (from which I wanted to copy) and on page 1, (with the page node selected in the cast,) I clicked the copy icon. I then opened the page sequence window, and multi-seleceted several pages. Again, I clicked the copy icon. Then I clicked the paste drop down arrow to see the paste cue. I could see both the single page I copied, and the page sequence I had just copied.

I then closed that lesson, and opened the lesson to which I wanted to paste pages.

My paste cue still retained both the single page, and the page sequence.

I clicked paste (and got the "paste page successful" message.) I opened the page sequence window, and pasted again here. Again successful.

You tried this in the same SmartBuilder session yes?

Cheers,

Leif
Leif

Postby pbcctemp1 » Mon May 12, 2008 5:24 pm

Lief,

Thank you for the exact instructions. The merge (copy) of a page from one lesson to another worked fabulously.
I have two computers I work from:
1. Running Windows 2k and FireFox 1.0.7. Your procedure works beautifully on this machine.
2. The other machine I used is running windows XP as a virtual machine on a Mac Powerbook under VM Fusion and FireFox 2.0.0.14. I was using this computer while experiencing the problem I reported in earlier posts. Again, I found the following did not work:

The copy from the original lesson into the paste queue was successful. I opened the lesson I wanted to paste into --> checked the paste queue and the original page was in the paste queue OK --> Clicked the Edit button --> Page Sequence --> Checked the page queue again OK. --> Clicked the paste icon in the page sequence box--> "Copy of page X" appeared in the page sequence list (did not see the "Paste Successful" message. --> clicked OK at botton of the Page Sequence window. --> clicked the page selection dropdown arrow and "copy of page X" did not appear in the list. It was not pasted.

The following did work on the same Mac machine:

After completing the above sequence, I did not click the edit --> page sequence --> ... I just clicked the paste icon. I got the paste successful message and "copy of page X" now appears in the lesson. It worked.

I don't know if this helps, but thanks for your help.

George Reese
Instructional Tech
Palm Beach Community College
pbcctemp1

Return to General