bookmarking choice

For general questions about Content Authoring

Moderator: Nav

bookmarking choice

Postby rwicker » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:26 pm

Hello,

On the initial page in the course, I wish to provide the learner a choice of whether to return to the last viewed page if he/she has already accessed the course instead of automatically returning him/her to the last viewed page. The course is being hosted via the Saba LMS.

I've set up a check to obtain the lesson status in an onPageLoad action. On the initial trial, I added an action where if the lesson status equals incomplete a global event should be fired so a display set providing the option to jump to the bookmark should appear. In testing, the display set only appears if I reload the page. Since that did not work optimally, I added text to the initial page along with a hotspot, so the learner will need to click on the hotspot in order to jump to the bookmark. I would like for a display set to appear if the lesson status does not equal incomplete, and also if no bookmark exists. The display set contains text telling the learner that he/she does not have completion credit for any pages in the course and how to proceed. How do I add code to check whether a bookmark exists? Also, do you have any suggestions regarding how to get the global event to work without needing to reload the page?

Below is the code:

onPageLoad action:
Page Controller - onPageLoad
condition: SCORM API-getLessonStatus != incomplete
true response: course title-setText-Course Title
false response: course title-setText-Course Title
PageController-fireGlobalEvent-show-return-to-bookmark {note: only displays if reload page}
SCORM API-setLessonStatus-browsed

bookmark_click action:
Hotspot-onClick
condition: SCORM API-getLessonStatus == browsed
true response: Page Controller-gotoPageByName-SCORM API-getSCOLocation
false response: Action-show {note: this is the text telling learner no bookmark exists}

Note that I set the lesson status to browsed in the onPageLoad action because I did not receive optimal results just checking for the lesson status of incomplete.

Thank you,
Rebecca
rwicker

Re: bookmarking choice

Postby Nav » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:34 am

Hi Rebecca,
There is actually a handy built-in bookmarking command called GetSCOLocation.

Note, this forum post has been edited to remove extra steps that are no longer necessary (due to SmartBuilder enhancements).

Here's the bare essentials you'll need to get it working, and a full example is in the Shared Library>Examples folder called SCORM Bookmark Example. The actions are all on the master page.

Trigger: PageController - onPageLoad
Condition: SCORM API - GetSCOLocation == "" (this is blank to indicate a null value)
True Response: show 1st-time-visit instructions Display
False Response: show bookmark Display

And then all you need is a button in the display that pops up to:
Response: PageController.gotoPagebyName = SCORM API - GetSCOLocation

Hope this helps, and please check out the example to see the actions in context. As with any SCORM calls, you'll have to download the lesson and run it through a SCORM-compliant LMS (meaning it won't work if you just preview it in SmartBuilder).
Nav

Postby rwicker » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:30 pm

Thank you for this information.

I just checked the Shared Library>Examples folder and did not find SCORM Bookmark Example. Will the example be posted soon?

Thanks again,
Rebecca
rwicker

Postby Nav » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:21 pm

Hi Rebecca,
Sorry, I forgot you were on a different environment. The lesson should be there now.

- Nav
Nav

Postby rwicker » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:45 pm

Thank you for adding the bookmarking example. I will give it a try.

Kind regards,
Rebecca
rwicker

Postby rwicker » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:50 pm

Hi Nav,

I applied the code as specified in the example. I receive an invalid argument error initially when the course opens. Do you have any ideas on how to fix that? Other than the error message, the bookmark is working well.

Thank you,
Rebecca
rwicker

Postby rwicker » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:11 am

Hello,

I disabled the action for on page load, set suspend and ran an initial test in our LMS. I did not receive the invalid argument error and bookmarking worked. Should I be concerned about the removal of that code? If so, are there any alternatives for Saba?

Thank you,
Rebecca
rwicker

Postby rwicker » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:37 am

Hello,

I believe I found the solution. I changed "cmi.exit" to "cmi.core.exit" and it appears to work.

Thanks for your help with this issue.

Rebecca
rwicker

Return to General