Audio Controller Actions

For general questions about Content Authoring

Moderator: Nav

Audio Controller Actions

Postby mervin » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:48 am

Is there a way to use the audio player to start and stop (control) a timeline? I understand how to have a timeline be "audio based," but I am not sure how to reveal the controller when an audio is synced to a timeline. Basically, I want the student to be able to start, stop, restart the timeline with audio. I thought a workaround might be to set up the timeline reveal as "audio based", then unchecking the audio-based button and using it as time-based, then inserting the audio using the audio insert button onto the page, then linking them together. But I can't quite figure out how to have the audio controller tied to actions...maybe hot spots?

Hope this makes sense, thanks. I re-read and I nearly confused myself!
Monica
mervin

Re: Audio Controller Actions

Postby Nav » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:17 pm

Hi Monica,
You're on the track, you'll have to use hotspots over the audio controller object's play/pause button and reset button. These hotspots can start and stop both the audio and the timeline. By layering the play and pause hotspot over each other, and hiding and showing one, you can make sure they're always in sync. We'll assume that Pause Hotspot is above the Play Hotspot, and the audio and timeline are set to Autostart.

Trigger: Pause Hotspot > onClick
Response: Audio 1 > Pause Sound
Response: Timeline 1 > Pause
Repsonse: Pause Hotspot > hide

Trigger: Play Hotspot > onClick
Response: Audio 1 > Play Sound
Response: Timeline 1 > Play
Repsonse: Pause Hotspot > show

Trigger: Restart Hotspot > onClick
Response: Audio 1 > Restart Sound
Response: Timeline 1 > Restart
Repsonse: Pause Hotspot > show

Let me know if that doesn't work.

- Nav
Nav

Postby mervin » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:09 am

This worked PERFECTLY. Thanks much!

Monica
mervin

Postby mervin » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:13 am

While the workaround does work, it creates some timing issues. I don't know if you keep any kind of request list, but I would love it if we could actually show the audio player and start and stop a timeline that is audio-based. Again, I've tried the workaround with the empty audio player having hotspots that start, stop, and restart the timeline, but the audios never seem to sync up correctly - I believe it has something to do with the load time for an audio. They seem to work fine for me, but when we put them in a live environment they are not synced up. Any thoughts?
Thanks, Monica
mervin

Postby keisan » Thu May 17, 2012 8:18 am

In continuing on with this topic, I have implemented the above actions but have run into the problem when the audio scubber (at least I think that is what the gray progress bar for the Audio object is called) is used the timeline is no longer synced. I have tried using actions and a variable to set the scrubbedTime (my variable) equal to the Audio-getCurrentTime and then have the Timeline jump to the scrubbedTime. However, I can't seem to get the Timeline to move to the scrubbedTime. Is this possible?
keisan

Postby jmalatino » Thu May 17, 2012 8:39 am

Sorry but there is no way to make the timeline jump to a specific time. To avoid this problem you can use the compact display option for the audio objects controller which does not show the audio scrubbing bar. Or make custom buttons that control the audio and timeline. Either way there is no way to scrub the timeline.
jmalatino

Postby keisan » Thu May 17, 2012 11:00 am

Thanks. I would like to make an enhancement request for this.
keisan

Postby keisan » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:01 am

Sorry to come back to this but the boss wants to use the audio scrubber in our lesson.

Is there any way to sync audio with graphics so that if the audio scrubber is used they stay synced? Just want to make sure I am not missing something.

Thanks again,
Kathy
keisan

Postby Nav » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:08 am

Hi Kathy,
Unfortunately this isn't possible. The only way to really sync audio and visual information, and be able to scrub around to particular times, is to create a video and bring that into SmartBuilder.

- Nav
Nav

Postby ragesh » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:33 am

Audio controller is missing (HTML Output) when we click the hotspots. Any solution?
ragesh

Postby Nav » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:20 pm

Hmm, HTML5 output, especially on mobile devices (as opposed to on a PC), is always a little tricky. Mobile devices require you to actually click on the audio object itself to play the audio (something about not wanting end users to stream audio/video automatically without their consent). Also, the audio objects come from the browser, so it might look different on iOS versus a Windows 7 IE11 audio.

Can you send me a screengrab of the issue you're running into?

- Nav
Nav

Postby ragesh » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:02 am

Here is screenshot for your reference
Attachments
Screengarb.zip
Audio player disappearing when click on the hotspot.
(38.94 KiB) Downloaded 575 times
ragesh

Postby Nav » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:02 am

Hi Ragesh,
Now I understand. It's disappearing after you click on the hotspot. I thought it was missing since the page loaded. Yes. This goes back to what I was saying about HTML5 forcing people to click on the object itself. I don't think there's any known workaround to get hotspots to work as the trigger for audio. If you're using an Audio object and a Timeline, I would suggest deleting the Audio object, and putting the audio (mp3) in the Timeline, and putting the Timeline on the screen somewhere for the user to be able to click on it to start playing it.

- Nav
Nav

Postby ragesh » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:58 am

Hi Nav,
Audio streaming (scroll bar) is not progressing when the audio plays. But when we convert it in to html, player works fine.
ragesh

Return to General