server time outs

For general questions about Content Authoring

Moderator: Nav

server time outs

Postby tahiya » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:54 am

Our lessons are currently stand-alone activities on our training server that the learner accesses by signing in. Our server site will eventually time out if a user is not interacting with server for a certain amount of time. My question is, if my SmartBuilder course is loaded on our server, does the server "see" the user's clicks and actions as interactions with the server, or is it blind to the activity going on within the SmartBuilder lesson? I don't want the user to be in a course, working away, and then lose their work because the server couldn't tell they were doing stuff. It's important for this design because I'm not having a terminal assessment as a separate activity. The learner is told up front they can't just jump to a test so if they do some of the module and not all, they will have to complete the activities again, although they won't have to go through the exposition a second time.
play, play, play
tahiya

Re: server time outs

Postby Nav » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:41 pm

Hi Tahiya,
I'm not 100% sure, but I'd imagine that the server has no idea if you're interacting with the SmartBuilder lesson. The best way to keep the session active is to send some junk data to the server every 10 minutes (or whatever is an appropriate amount of time).

T: Timer > onTimeZero
R: send server call
R: Timer > reset
R: Timer > continue

It can be something that the server recognizes, but does nothing with (e.g., "active=true" or "blah=blahblah"), or you can just send some piece of data over and over again (e.g., if you're using a bookmark, send that again).

Let me know what you think.

- Nav
Nav

Re: server time outs

Postby tahiya » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:10 pm

thanks, will test and let you know
play, play, play
tahiya

Return to General