Looking for design assistance

For general questions about Content Authoring

Moderator: Nav

Looking for design assistance

Postby jzoeller » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:14 pm

I am looking for some help with a design issue. My customer has a 30 question assessment at the end of the training. Regulations say that they must score at least 90%. If they score less than 90%, they need to review the content and complete a different assessment and score at least 90%. If they score between 90 and 99 percent, they still need to review the content for the missed questions, and then answer those questions correctly. We have talked about locking users out after a first fail, then creating a second assessment that they must complete, but am not sure if we can lock them out of the first assessment in the LMS. The second issue is how to review the content for the questions missed if they score 90% or greater. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Jim Zoeller
UPS Airlines
jzoeller@ups.com
jzoeller

Re: Looking for design assistance

Postby Nav » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:34 pm

Hi Jim,
I'm not sure that an LMS can handle that level of navigation (locking out one lesson and allowing another based on how you did on the first one). LMSs simply aren't that smart.

I think you can do this if you place everything inside a single SmartBuilder lesson, that way you have total control over it.

You can build the first assessment on one page and then at the end of the assessment show a list of the sections the learner needs to review. There's a new video tutorial that explains how to do this, which you can find here - http://help.smartbuilder.com/node/580 If you're feeling adventurous, you could even lock down the pages that aren't in that list, but that would be quite a bit of work.

Then you can create a second assessment inside the same lesson.

The hardest part would be the scenario where the student has only part of the exam to retake (90%-99%). If you use a Flow Chart, you can tell it to only show a subset of the questions, but you can't tell it which ones (it's only used with randomization). So you'd have to build an entire Quiz without the Flow Chart, and keep track of which questions they missed in the first assessment, and then only show those in the second assessment. You'd do most of this through variables. q1passed, q2passed, etc. I can give you more specifics if you decide to go down this path.

- Nav
Nav

Return to General