Scoring across a lesson

For general questions about Content Authoring

Moderator: Nav

Scoring across a lesson

Postby tahiya » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:11 pm

Using the video on the percent tracker I've successfully created a mock lesson that collects scores across pages and displays the aggregated points from the master page.
I've set that main collection variable to go to 0 in response to the global event, but it seems that if I have objects that you just click, that don't have a built-in condition, like a button, the main variable doesn't stop the user from clicking the button repeatedly to gain more points than possible.

But if I put an artificial condition on the main variable so it won't exceed a certain number of points, or set individual activity page variables to 0 on page load, that creates inaccuracies about where points are earned for what. I intuit that it's a matter of somehow putting a condition on the simple action, but I'm not sure what condition to put. I thought about hiding or taking the button out of use but I'm retrofitting a very long, complex lesson that has pretty involved scoring so I just can't justify the time for going back and covering individual items.
play, play, play
tahiya

Re: Scoring across a lesson

Postby Nav » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:17 pm

Hi Tahiya,
The idea is that you have a separate variable for each activity. The activity might be a drag and drop, or it might be a button click. When they get 5 points, you set the value of that variable to 5 points. If you're adding stuff directly to the total variable, it will be difficult to not allow them to game the tracker.

This will be a lot easier to talk about if I had an example to point at. Can you email me the name of the lesson? If it's generic enough, I'll post a video up here showing what I mean.

- Nav
Nav

Postby tahiya » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:33 pm

Hi Nav,
Thanks. The fake lesson I set up was Test LMS Comms. I do see how it's very hard to stop artificially gaming the tracker. I'm not using a percent tracker but just the points total because the original lesson used that and I don't want to change formats when we port over to the LMS.

Also, it's just easier to figure from a certificate standpoint for me since the whole lesson turned out to be worth a nice even 200 pts.
play, play, play
tahiya

Postby Nav » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:43 pm

Hi Tahiya,
I can see where the the confusion is coming from now. You have lots of small activities on each page. So rather than one variable per page, I would create one variable per activity, and use "setValue" instead of "add". So in a conditional activity (like a radio button where one choice is correct) you say "setValue" and give them all the points, and if they get it wrong, you say setValue to 0 points. And if you just want them to click a button, if they click it they get the points. If they click it again, because you're using setValue, it's not going to keep adding them.

Then on the last page (or the Master Page if you're showing this along the way), you add up all those many variables at once.

The alternative is to try to create true/false variables for each activity to keep the learner from getting credit for the same activity more than once. And the logic for that will vary for each activity and it will be more difficult.

Let me know if that's not clear and I can record a video.

- Nav
Nav

Postby tahiya » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:56 am

That's perfect. Actually in the real course I don't have multiple activities on the same page so I kind of saw your advice in action when I went there to change my original scoring mechanics.

Now I am able to
A. Allow the learner to try again if they want to get max points
B. Allow the learner to go on if they are satisfied to just pass
C. Stop the learner from accessing a page if they have reached max points
D. Do these things consistently per activity no matter the direction in the course from which a student opens a page.

When I first set up the scoring the first time around, I made it work but it was clunky. Now that I have my head wrapped around it it's really solid and not full of unneeded actions.
Thank you very much.
Tahiya
play, play, play
tahiya

Return to General