How do I hide or remove the "Next" button on last screen?

For general questions about Content Authoring

Moderator: Nav

How do I hide or remove the "Next" button on last screen?

Postby PamelaFoley » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:59 pm

I downloaded my first course to Scorm Cloud so I could have it critiqued by a person who does not have access to Smartbuilder. When I get to the end of
each lesson and want to move on to the next lesson,  the "next" button does not move the learner on to the next lesson. Does the learner always have to click on the left hand menu to move on to the next lesson? If that is true and my next button does not send the learner on to the next lesson, how can I remove that "next" button on the last slide of each lesson when it was originally set up on the master page to apply to all of the screens?
PamelaFoley

Re: How do I hide or remove the "Next" button on last screen?

Postby Nav » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:15 pm

Hi Pamela,
Thanks for posting these questions.

You cannot directly navigate from one Lesson to the next in the Course. That is because the LMS needs to know when one Lesson is finished, and when the next one starts, so that it can store and gather information properly. There is something called "Navigation" in LMSs that allows this, but I personally haven't seen a working example of it. The way that works is when you close Lesson 1, the LMS automatically knows to serve up Lesson 2.

It's stupid, I know, but it's the way that SCORM works. And while we could change it, it would break SCORM standards and lots of lesson scores would no longer be recorded (the LMS would still think you're in Lesson 1, even when you're in Lesson 2, 3, etc). So, yes, the learner has to use the Course navigation links (we provide a basic navigation structure, which most LMSs throw out and use their own).

This video tutorial shows you how to set up Conditional Actions, and the example that it works through is how to disable the Back button on the first page, and the Next button on the last page (which is exactly what you want) - http://help.smartbuilder.com/node/559 You can use disable/enable like in the video, or you can use hide/show instead. You can even add an addition response to show a message when on the last page to tell the learner to use the menu on the left to go to the next lesson (if you'd like).

Let me know if anything is unclear.

- Nav
Nav

Return to General