Selecting/Reading text for Section 508

For general questions about Content Authoring

Moderator: Nav

Selecting/Reading text for Section 508

Postby kcoshea » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:45 am

Hi -

I am hoping you can provide some tips for making text readable for section 508 compliance. I saw in the Help documentation that you recommend creating a "Read Text" button (or something of that nature) that when clicked would select all the text.

I wasn't sure if there was a way in the master page to create a single button that would show on every page that would appear in a consistent location and allow the text on each page to be selected upon page load. Is there a way to make that master button aware of the text on a given page? This might have problems on pages with multiple displays, and I understand this likely wouldn't qualify as truly 508 compliant since it wouldn't be selecting the text to be read, but I need to explore some options.

If a master button isn't possible and/or advisable, do you recommend that we add a check on each page and then show something like "Read Text" buttons by each text field if isAssistiveDeviceOn == true? Since we have many pages with multiple text fields, is there another option/object that we could put on the page that we could populate somehow with the full text on the page (e.g. a graphic where the full text of the page was in the description field?) so that when it was tabbed to would read the text aloud rather than having to tab to multiple ReadText buttons?

Would it work to have a text box on a page that contains the full text of the page in white text on a white background (so essentially invisible) and then when a user tabs to a particular button/object we could select the text in the white text box? Could that text box live under another layer if needed? (Again, not fully compliant with 508 but maybe a reasonable option for providing screen reader accessibility.)

Thanks for any advise you can provide.

Katie
kcoshea

Re: Selecting/Reading text for Section 508

Postby Nav » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:33 pm

I am hoping you can provide some tips for making text readable for section 508 compliance. I saw in the Help documentation that you recommend creating a "Read Text" button (or something of that nature) that when clicked would select all the text.

That's correct. It will help with certain screen readers.

I wasn't sure if there was a way in the master page to create a single button that would show on every page that would appear in a consistent location and allow the text on each page to be selected upon page load. Is there a way to make that master button aware of the text on a given page? This might have problems on pages with multiple displays, and I understand this likely wouldn't qualify as truly 508 compliant since it wouldn't be selecting the text to be read, but I need to explore some options.

There would be a way to do this using one button that fires a Global Event. Then on each page, you could catch that Global Event and tell it to select a text object that contains all the text from that page (per your idea below). You can learn how to do that using this video tutorial (instead of telling something to pause, you would say BigTextObject > selectAllText). However, I think this would be more work and less flexinle than simply creating a button on each page. http://help.smartbuilder.com/node/584

If a master button isn't possible and/or advisable, do you recommend that we add a check on each page and then show something like "Read Text" buttons by each text field if isAssistiveDeviceOn == true? Since we have many pages with multiple text fields, is there another option/object that we could put on the page that we could populate somehow with the full text on the page (e.g. a graphic where the full text of the page was in the description field?) so that when it was tabbed to would read the text aloud rather than having to tab to multiple ReadText buttons?

Would it work to have a text box on a page that contains the full text of the page in white text on a white background (so essentially invisible) and then when a user tabs to a particular button/object we could select the text in the white text box? Could that text box live under another layer if needed? (Again, not fully compliant with 508 but maybe a reasonable option for providing screen reader accessibility.)

Yes, that's a good idea. You could put the graphic with all the text in the description, or the single large text object off screen. It will still exist, but won't be visible to the person viewing the lesson. Or you could hide it under a shape, or make it white on white, any of those are good ideas.

508 is always tricky. The key to success is, unfortunately, trial and error. SmartBuilder version 4 will be designed with 508 in mind from the beginning, and should be much easier to do this sort of thing. Best of luck!

- Nav
Nav

Return to General