Navigation & Timing questions

For general questions about Content Authoring

Moderator: Nav

Navigation & Timing questions

Postby momo2000 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:35 am

Been experiment with SmartBuilder this week and really loving it, great tool. I have built a prototype (5 slides) of a Boy Scout Training module that I’m envisioning. The module is basically taking a 50 slide PowerPoint presentation and making every slide a “page” in SmartBuilder”. There are no tests or exercises involved. All is going well thanks to the manual and examples. I even have the certificate and remote email trigger (calling a PHP script on a remote server) working at the end. Working prototype here: http://www.smartbuilder.com/smartbuilde ... 000000003a

However, I do have one “best practice” question that I can’t seem to figure out.

In the finished product, every slide will have a voice over (as my first 5 do now) and then AFTER the audio is complete, the “next” slide will appear. I have all that working now, but have built it “page by page” (putting a trigger to show the Next button when the audio clip is finished), but am wondering if there is a “better” way to do this using the PageController on the Master Page. Also it would be able to go back, and then be immediately able to go forward if that page had already be completed (something that doesn’t work in my prototype)

SO, is there a way to use the Page Controller on the master page:
#1. Set a trigger on the audio clip on each page that would make the Page Controller show when the audio is finished? (instead of using a next button on each page)
#2. Allow for backward navigation with the Page Controller (after it shows).
#3. Allow for forward navigation with the PageConroller without having to wait for the trigger on the audio) IF that trigger has already been triggered once? For instance, the learner gets to page 10, but then wants to go back a few pages (to review something on previous pages) then the learner wants to get back to where they were (page 10) but currently they must wait for all the audio to play again.
#4. I notice that the Page Controller has a drop down that would let you go FORWARD (and skip slides), is there a way to disable this, or make it only so it would only go to slides that have already been seen, but not skip ahead?

I was hoping that this was a “typical” scenario, but haven’t been able to find an example, or thoughts on this. Any ideas? Thanks!
momo2000

Re: Navigation & Timing questions

Postby jmalatino » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:21 pm

This is certainly something that is easy to do in SmartBuilder. Here are the basic steps outlined. I have also recorded a short video that show the entire process to make this happen.

For this to work you will need to use your own Back, Next and Menu on the master page. You will also want to move the page controller off the screen once this is completed.

1) Audio trigger to make the next button active.
Trigger: OnAudioComplete
Response: PageController>FireGlobalEvent>"enableNext"

You will also need an action on the master page to disable the next button any time a page is loaded or changed. And an action to listen for the global event to be fired and to enable the next button when it is. This is most clearly illustrated in my video. (See link to screencast below.)

2) This can be accomplished by setting up your own back and next buttons on the masterpage.

3) For this you will need a variable for each page. This will allow the lesson to know which pages have been complete. So on the completion of the audio you set that pages variable to "true" and as discussed earlier send that "enableNext" global event.

4) Once you are using a menu object instead of the default page controller there is a checkbox in the properties for this object that allows you to disable "Skip Ahead" This will only allow the learners to use the menu to go to pages they have already visited. So they have to take the lesson in a linear order but can jump around in any pages they have already visited.

This short video really shows the entire process more completely.
http://screencast.com/t/ILBi0TYlk9m

Here is another short video that shows a more elegant solution that only uses 1 global variable rather than 1 for each page. This is a much easier way to program it. Feel free to contact us via the live support chat if you have any trouble implementing this. I have made you a co-owner of the lesson that I show in the second video. It is called "Navigation Control" and should be in your work in progress folder.
http://screencast.com/t/m9AOPIjHnU
jmalatino

Postby momo2000 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:54 pm

jmalatino: thanks for your thoughtful and detailed reply. I'll get cracking on this tomorrow. I'll provide and update back. THANKS! :D
momo2000

Postby momo2000 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:37 am

jmalatino: I spend time watching and rewatching the video, and that ALONG WITH the sample app provided me with tremendous learning. Both were great, but it was a case of 1+1=3. The combo enabled me to solve my initial problem, AND THEN gave me great insight to several other areas. Thanks so much for taking the time to record the video and then give me access to the working solution. Great support! :D
momo2000

Postby rkhporter » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:16 am

Could you possibly share the "Navigation Control" SmartBuilder file with me as well?

Thank you!
rkhporter

Postby Nav » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:48 am

Hi,
We made a copy of the lesson for you. You'll find it in your WIP > Lessons folder.

Also, for more information about Complex Navigation, check out this video - http://help.smartbuilder.com/node/610

- Nav
Nav

Postby rkhporter » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:49 am

I see it! Thank you!!!!
rkhporter

Return to General