iPad Mini Page Size

For general questions about Content Authoring

Moderator: Nav

iPad Mini Page Size

Postby sprevidi » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:12 pm

I need to develop training content for iPad Minis. Does anyone know what page size setting would be optimal?

Thanks,
Steve
sprevidi

Re: iPad Mini Page Size

Postby Nav » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:50 pm

Hi Steve,
On mobile devices, the lesson actually scales according to the width. So if you're holding it vertically, it's kind of small, and when you hold it horizontally, you may have to scroll up and down (if your lesson is very tall). Here are some screengrabs on an Android:

vertical.png
vertical.png (334.18 KiB) Viewed 8414 times

horizontal.png
horizontal.png (393.84 KiB) Viewed 8414 times

So you don't have to worry too much about it. It's more about the aspect ratio. We're using a size of 1000x657, which was optimized for a full-sized iPad, and that looks really good. A bit too tall for Android, though - we've used 1156x600 for that, and have a bit of room to spare.

So I would try 1000x657 on an iPad mini, if you can get your hands on one, along with some buttons and a variety of text sizes. We use size 16 font and buttons that are 44px tall, but you might find even that is a little small on iPad mini. Testing it out on the environment will be the best thing you can do. You may also want to throw some Radio Button and Checkbox groups on there, and fiddle with the spacing between them (since people's fingers are less accurate than a mouse, you usually want a little space for error).

- Nav
Nav

Postby sprevidi » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:07 pm

Thanks, Nav. I'll try those dimensions. Meanwhile, do you have any advice on how to make my videos play on iPad Minis?

I created a tiny test module (just 3 pages) to see if the video I created in VideoScribe would play. It worked perfectly in SmartBuilder, but when I converted to HTML5 (latest version), loaded it on our LMS and tried to play it on an iPad Mini, it just kept loading and wouldn't play.

I thought it might be a bandwidth issue, but the opening animation with graphics works fine, and it's a very small size file for video. The original flash version was less than 6 mbs. As instructed, I've unchecked "Autoplay" and "Lock Original Size," and it's not remotely hosted. Is there a special setting on the iPad that I need to select or something of that nature?

Thanks,
Steve
sprevidi

Postby Nav » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:53 pm

Hi Steve,
Are you aware that on iOS (and actually on all mobile devices, now) that you must tell audio or video to play by clicking on the object itself? You cannot use a separate play button or expect the audio/video to play automatically. If you're still experiencing the problem even when clicking on the object to get it to play, let me know the name of the lesson and I'll test it out myself.

- Nav
Nav

Return to General