Question Set shows even when set to not visible

build learning interactivity

Moderator: Nav

Question Set shows even when set to not visible

Postby mdarmistead » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:59 am

I have had several instances where the Question Set appears during preview when it should not be visible.
The Question Set - Start Visible is unchecked. Until it gets to a specific display page, there are no actions that would trigger it to show. Any ideas?
mdarmistead

Re: Question Set shows even when set to not visible

Postby Nav » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:54 am

Hi there,
My guess is that you have the Question Set in the Flow Chart (as you should). The Flow Chart starts as soon as the page is launched. There is no way to delay it. If you use actions to try to hide or show certain displays that are being used in the Flow Chart, it may cause the Flow Chart to break (basically you're trying to do the Flow Chart's job for it using the Action List).

The best way to resolve this issue (to delay your Question Set from showing up) is to place something before it in the Flow Chart. As I said, you cannot delay the Flow Chart, but you can control the first thing that Flow Chart shows. This can be a display containing the welcome message and a "begin" button, or it can be a blank display that simply shows nothing until you want to start your quiz. Please see the following video to see how to set this up: http://screencast.com/t/8h7TORVz6pe

Let me know if that doesn't help, or if anything is unclear.

- Nav
Nav

Postby mdarmistead » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:11 am

The extra display set works fine to hide the question set initially. However, I have a tabbed display and the first question set is triggered by Tab 3, after the correct answer is given the Continue Button takes you to tab 4. The question set appears on tab 3 but when the display set is advanced to tab 4 by the Continue Button, the question set does not disappear. I have tried hiding it triggered by the continue button, but that doesn't work.

In this part of the lesson, Tabs 3 & 6 have a checkpoint question on them. I have set the questions up in a single display as Checkpoint 1 & Checkpoint 2.
Tab 3 Checkpoint 1 hotspot shows Display 3 and the blank display set is submitted to start the flowchart which shows Question 1. Tab 6 Checkpoint 2 Hotspot calls the question set and displays only Question 2.

screencap001.jpg
The question set should have disappeared when this display was shown.
screencap001.jpg (174.47 KiB) Viewed 7343 times
Attachments
screencap002.jpg
Flowchart fo the two checkpoints.
screencap002.jpg (111.51 KiB) Viewed 7343 times
mdarmistead

Postby Nav » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:55 pm

Hi,
So I didn't realize that you were trying to both show and then hide the Flow Chart and then maybe show it again. The Flow Chart, and especially Question Sets, aren't really designed for this.

Technically, you should be able to hide the Question Set at any time using a Question Set > hide action, but this breaks the Flow Chart afterwards, so it's not really recommended.

Basically, I wouldn't use a Question Set. Question Sets are designed for Quizzes, not really for collecting checkpoint questions. They work best when you are basically just doing a Quiz, and nothing else on the page. The include cool features like automatic reporting, and randomization options, but since you're not making use of those features, you're just being hindered by their inflexibility.

I would say you have 2 options - Create all your interactivity in the Action List, or all in the Flow Chart using Display Sets. I'm guessing that all your other interactivity is built in the Action List, so that might be easiest. Just tell the appropriate display to show when you're ready, and create Conditional Actions to show the appropriate feedback of the questions. Start by deleting your Flow Chart. You can still use the on-page objects, and build your actions with them.

If you do want to build this in the Flow Chart, you should use Display Sets. They are much more flexible, and will allow you to show all of the Tabs (built into Displays) and such as you wish, and just some of those Tabs happen to ask questions.

Let me know if you have further questions or if anything is unclear.

- Nav
Nav

Return to Action/Flow Chart/Variable