Displays sets in quiz

build learning interactivity

Moderator: Nav

Displays sets in quiz

Postby tahiya » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:01 am

I think I made a mistake. I created a quiz from the template file but I initially used a display inside the questions set to start off the quiz with a fill in field for the user to type out the name they want to be on the certificate if they pass.
But now I realize that I want to use random draw from the quiz so the initial display that starts the quiz can't be in the same display set as the questions because it will be randomized. I started putting that display in its own set but I can't figure out how to add a display set to the flow chart BEFORE the current display which is the quiz questions. Also, just putting the start items outside a display set as just items on the slide doesn't work because the questions are visible behind everything no matter that I set them to don't start visible.
play, play, play
tahiya

Re: Displays sets in quiz

Postby jmalatino » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:24 am

I have recorded a short video that shows how to accomplish this.

http://screencast.com/t/2gI0tTtVY1

Basically you cut your question set out of the flow chart and start your display set with the introduction display set display and then paste your question set back into the flow chart.

If you have any questions about this feel free to reach out to me.
jmalatino

Postby jmalatino » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:04 am

Also to make this work perfectly you will have to make the Question set to not start visible and if you are using one of our templates that has the question and feedback shapes outside of the question set you will need to also have them not start visible. And an action that onShow of the Question set shows the Question background shape. The feedback background shape will be shown and hiden by the template without any customization.
jmalatino

Postby tahiya » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:05 am

cool. Thanks. It was just like your instructions, I was thinking it would be something with the cut and paste but I was too chicken to lose all that setup work I did making the questions run right. Joy!
play, play, play
tahiya

Postby tahiya » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:40 am

Just one more little quirk. I have only one Correct feedback display that contains the submit button for moving forward. On one trial I got the answer right but the button for moving forward didn't show up and since I had blocked out the page controller on the master page because I don't want the certificate available to anyone who didn't pass, there was nothing I could as a person taking the quiz. What can I provide the learner in case something goes wrong that will let him/her start again? I'm using a random draw quiz so I could give them a start-over button outside the display sets but I don't want them clicking it every time they get a wrong answer.
play, play, play
tahiya

Postby jmalatino » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:59 am

Hi Tahiya,

This sounds like a problem that is very specific to your particular quiz and I might need to see it myself to properly diagnose what is happening. If you contact me via the Support Chat I could set up an online meeting and help you solve it there. But I have a meeting scheduled now for about a half an hour. So if you could try and contact me in about about 45 minutes or so and I could help you diagnose this issue.

There must be something making the submit button not show up in the correct feedback. Be sure that the options for the correct feedback displays Continue button are configured properly in the flow chart. See the following graphic.

Feeback_Continue_btn_options.png
Feeback_Continue_btn_options.png (20.46 KiB) Viewed 12624 times

Make sure that "Hide After Use" is not selected. Adjusting these options for each of your questions may solve the issue. If not contact me in about an hour.
jmalatino

Postby tahiya » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:37 am

I don't think I can reproduce it. It only happened once and haven't seen it since. My question was more about what to do for the learner if they run into a tech glitch like this, a backup plan kind of thing since I'm trying to restrict their movement because it's a quiz, but then if they get into a cul-de-sac I've left them with no way out. I will double check the option pictured though. thanks.
play, play, play
tahiya

Postby jmalatino » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:01 pm

Well it should be solvable. I believe that if it happened once it has to be reproducible and thus solvable. I would keep testing to try to reproduce it and I am currently available to do a gotoMeeting to help diagnose the problem. It could be related to some actions you might have or to some options on the flowchart or the properties of the button itself.

Reach out to me and I am sure we can solve this.
jmalatino

Return to Action/Flow Chart/Variable