Not Quite a Quiz

build learning interactivity

Moderator: Nav

Not Quite a Quiz

Postby jwilson » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:58 pm

Looking to build an assessment that needs calculations.

Each row would contain 4 words that someone would rank 1-4
There would be seven rows following this pattern.

No column could exceed 28 and no row could exceed 10.

How do I allow for them to fill in the 1-4 on each row and then calculate the columns, thus allowing them to go learn more about their highest total in terms of a personality assessment?
Attachments
Assessment.jpg
Assessment.jpg (34.23 KiB) Viewed 10521 times
jwilson

Re: Not Quite a Quiz

Postby Nav » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:03 pm

Hi,
You could create a variable for each of the columns. Then add up the values that are entered in each input text. You can display that information at the bottom of the screen in another text object.

Trigger: Button > onClick
Response: Variables > Number > Column1variable > setValue = 0 [reset it]
Response: Variables > Number > Column1variable > add > Function > InputColumn1row1 > getNumber
Response: Variables > Number > Column1variable > add > Function > InputColumn1row2 > getNumber
Response: Variables > Number > Column1variable > add > Function > InputColumn1row3 > getNumber
...etc...
Response: Variables > Number > Column1variable > add > Function > InputColumn1row7 > getNumber
Response: Column1totalTextBox > setValue > Function > Variables > Number > Column1variable > getValue

Do you want this to calculate when they click a button? Or as they change each value? That will determine your trigger. The button's a little easier, but both are possible.

Also, restricting what they type in always requires a bit of work. You can set up actions to force them to choose 1, 2, 3, or 4, but making sure they don't put in multiple 4s or multiple 3s is going to require some additional thought. You could check to see if each row equals 10, and if not, highlight the row in red and tell them to fix it. You'll need a variable for each row, then, as well, and use the method outlined above.

So basically, this is all possible, but it's going to take a number of actions to get this set up. A lot of it depends on the details of your design.

Let me know if that's enough direction to get you started, or if you need more help!

- Nav
Nav

Postby jwilson » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:29 pm

Nav,

Thanks - I will start on this tomorrow. I am sure I may need some additional support but will see what I can figure out on my own. This is a great help and starting point.

Julie
jwilson

Postby jwilson » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:15 pm

I have all the column totals working fine. I have done the same with the rows but would like to add the check if not 10 then highlight to correct row. The course is in my works in progress called Test-Shedding, it is on page 1.

Also is there a way to take the numbers in the column total and turn that into a graph? If the answer is no, that is fine. Just asking. The numbers will be different for each person. I don't want to go outside the course at this point so if it does not work they can just do it on paper.

Thanks for you help in coming up with this. Would be happy to share when done if you want to put it up in the templates.
jwilson

Postby Nav » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:41 pm

Hi Julie,
Great job setting that up. Here's what you'll do to set up the checks - http://screencast.com/t/0rgjBb5Gi

Basically create a conditional action that checks to see if a particular Row Variable is 10 or not. Then show or hide the highlight shape accordingly.

Thanks for offering it up as a template. Once it's done, we'll probably take you up on that!

- Nav
Nav

Postby Nav » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:43 pm

Oh yeah, you mentioned something about a graph. What kind of graph? You can simulate a bar graph by creating several percent trackers, setting the Style property to Bar Square, and then setting the values.

If you can show me a mock up of the graph that would illustrate the data, I'll let you know what we can do.

- Nav
Nav

Return to Action/Flow Chart/Variable